Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Reply To: Fun last Friday

Yea I remember that too well! Actually stopped by the quarry yesterday to "donate" some steel scrap to them, not worth the gas money to haul it to the city to get rid of it and don't want to be tripping over it for two years. The first thing I noticed was big rocks and berms up around the fuel pump area and shop with ropes blocking access to many places. Now the fuel pumps are inside a three foot tall concrete walled in containment area so it would take some doing even for a 769D to knock one over! Now I can see more hazard from the restricted access points for the pumps. Then the drive way between the old shop office and the electrical shop is roped off with only a narrow gap a pickup can fit through, this driveway has to be at the least 30 feet wide but I guess someone felt it was too narrow to safely drive a 773 or 988H through after doing it for around 30 years. When the shop office was put there back then they had a drill rig bore two holes near the corners of the office and drop in a pair of 4 inch drill rods about 12 feet sticking out of the ground and painted them red. Shop and office are on solid bed rock so it would take a good hit to move those drill rods. Then I noticed that every pickup has a yellow strobe led type light system on the roof going round and round non-stop. Story I was told is at one of the quarries in California some big machine backed over a pickup truck so company thinks the lights are going to prevent accidents. I'm just wondering about the fun it will be the first bad snow storm while all the crap in the way how they are going to deal with plowing out the place. Then again big bosses are in Huston Texas so they probably don't think about those things we deal with up north. A few more reasons I'm glad I left when I did!