Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Reply To: Off to the races. Getting fully setup to run 3D on my motorgrader.

After listening to the GC back pedal, ask if what was being done was correct and his inability to work towards fixing his site issues you realize how some people are clueless and or looking for free work. This building project was 4 months behind schedule when we got called up. I am not involved in it in any way, just a silent observer. This particular job has turned into a big problem for them They made an agreement for the paving company to remediate the failed areas. Luckily, the company I work for had terracon sitting on site for 2 complete days. After digging out the soft areas 15" to 24" his probe rod still went all the way in. They stopped remediation work and called for more approvals. The cuts got opened up, the gravel yard stopped sending gravel and then a 2" rain hit. Everyone left the site, I was told to plan to come back that they would have it ready next time. Stupid thing is it would have been completed with no extra cost had the GC done his job correctly. He should have never mobilized till they were ready to do the work. Now the grading and paying prep is going to cost double. Liability is always a concern, what i am always worried about is workers walking across the work area behind me. The machine does not always stop how you think it would or should. As far as my work I provide my services which is simpley to put it on grade 1 time. Sometimes I get a grade pin and it's straight foward and then there are situations like this which would take there surveyor saying it is wrong etc. I asked for there surveyor and brought the issue up front and center. He was not available. It will be brought up again in writing on the return trip. The people I currently work for i know and have worked for years, they have deeper pockets and lawyers help getting them paid. I sub out to them. I don't take out of town work for new customers unless they want to pay me when the work is done. Too many graders don't get paid. What I do is highly technical and most dirt site contractors don't want to be responsible for the final product. Too much back and forth over who is paying for the extra concrete. I walk hand in hand with the paving crews to get it like they want. I rarely regrade for free. I have a few times. In every case it is because they decided to change the pins after I left. Now I watch for that and don't rush away until my work is checked. As much as I don't like grade checkers I do because when they clear me I am done. 3D paving work they can't always check. They have to know to follow my profile or their concrete yields will go way over. They must pour it as I built it. At this point a lot of times they ask me how to fix it or what would I do. When you go to as many sites as I have and almost everyone has its problems, repairing the soft areas really is not so complicated, some make it out like it is. Remove wet "whatever", install material that is more dry, water it, pack it and proof roll it. Problems always come about.... we don't have water, we don't have equipment, there is no good dirt left etc..we are out of money .... These guys I work with are pros they use an engineer, document everything, write reports and clear repairs before they happen. So that everyone gets paid. Straight from that one to this one. Some 2d work in Gainsville GA. Seems easy after the 3d ...