Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Reply To: 953 vs 963 For Small Company / Mobilization

I’ll share how it will absolutely improve my world, as well as bottom line, as a one man show (and prefer to be in an excavator). It even applies if you’re paying multiple guys to be on a site running the dump trucks with the excavators, and/or dozer. You have a system, and the machines, so you’re efficient and you know it works. But look how many different assets, and guys on payroll, it is taking to do it. A track loader and a single operator can manage an entire site - whether basement dig, or stripping/stockpiling - with that one machine. One machine, one engine burning fuel, one hydraulic system. When I am running your traditional - and truly the most efficient with each specific tool doing its specialized purpose, I am having to hop machines. In and out of cabs, climbing up and down, all day long. A track loader teamed with a tandem or off-road truck can move some serious volume, digging out and laying back down, and I’m not having to switch cabs as much, nor keep three engines running and warmed up. Track loaders also do well in the clearing role as well. I just love running them, and like I said, I prefer to be in an excavator performing tasks just like you listed you do. But to do so, I’ve got to have other equipment there to be teamed with that excavator. So long as the distance is within reason, a track loader can do all three machines’ roles. Now if you’re the business owner with all the assets listed, you could add a track loader/operator and now double the basements you’re doing at once… I’ll also add how they are a benefit on a larger site and all the dedicated/specialized tools like excavators and dozers there. Sometimes, the dozer is working and it sure would be nice if you had another one on site…go fire up the track loader. Need to dig out some areas and all the excavators are occupied? Go grab the track loader. Need to tote some gravel or load some stockpiles into the haul trucks, and again the specialized machines are busy or elsewhere? The track loader can fill in nicely. The friend of mine I augment on his larger sites, has all the machines you listed and typically performs the tasks just as you listed with those machines. But his 53 and 63 are always there sitting off to the side, waiting to be needed for something in a pinch. One machine/investment that can serve as a spare for just about all the other machines there. Now factor in running grade control (indicate) on one…lookout!