Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Reply To: Case 580M series 1 Transmission Issues

Thanks alrman. Yes, checking the oil with the engine idling. The oil was really coming out after I unloaded it Friday and put it in the barn, but I didn't crawl under it and identify the source. After the small job Monday, I did identify the drip as coming from inside the yoke area of the front driveshaft. I know the shaft is hollow and there's an o-ring and washer. My plan was to drop the drive shaft for the front differential and replace the o-ring but the leak stopped. I'll check the trans cooler for debris but I think the cooler is in front of the radiator on the 580M. I had the radiator off a couple years ago for a leak repair and didn't have any debris then but checking the cooler is an obvious box to check. I've only had the concrete floor in my barn for a couple weeks, so the leak is noticeable now where it wasn't before. It could have been leaking unnoticed on the dirt. What are your thoughts on shuttle transmission life for these machines? Mine has 8100 hours but I believe in repairing and keeping otherwise good machines. I've had my eye out for a series 1 super M with extend-a-hoe with lower hours. I really wanted a 590SM or SN but decided that renting an excavator occasionally along with the 850D dozer I just bought will take some of the land clearing load off the TLB.