I am new to the caterpillar skid steers because I have always ran bobcat or other brands. I recently bought a used 01 cat 246. Upon buying It I noticed a lot of leakage around the joystick that operates the bucket. I called cat and a replacement is around 950. Can this be rebuilt or once they start leaking do you just have to buy new?
Yes, there is a plunger kit you can buy. The plungers on the top are what leaks most of the time.
Post a Serial Number (or at least the S/N prefix, is it 5SZ..?) and I'll find you the Part Number of the repair kit.
I had this same problem with my Cat 277B. It's not hard to get it off and pulled apart. There is a sequence to it though, and having a diagram helps when putting it back together. I saved the old one but, I went ahead and replaced the entire assembly, mainly because the old one had a lot of slop in it. The new one is nice and tight.
Thanks the serial number is 5SZ04388. So far I really like the cat but haven't got to use it much. Later on I have to look into trying to get the slack out of the bucket and arms but one part at a time. Really like the cat though.
I think this is what your looking for If it is the part number for the kit is 158-3770 make sure to double check with cat prior. Cost is about 80 dollars
follow up this just in case some one else have to repair joystick leak. My machine is cat 262. Recently ordered plunger seal from cat. Took the whole thing out. And got all hydraulic oil leak under machine. When everything is done. I realized I don’t really need took whole thing out of just repair the plunger leak. Will post more pics when I fix another one. Plunger part number 0940876.