Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

02 kobelco SK35SR-2 glow plugs

yohe41 ยท 2013-12-29 21:55

think I need new glow plugs on my machine, I can hear the relay click when I turn the key but I don't believe they are heating up, my big problem is I cant seem to locate them, anyone know where the hell on the block I can find them :Banghead, thanks in advance

Replies7
  1. #1204saskman2013-12-29 22:49

    Ill have a look at mine tomorrow and see if i can located them. It might br a grid heater too .

  2. #2204saskman2013-12-31 20:06

    So I had a look at mine today and got it started. I think mine dont work either. But it did finallt start. Im pretty sure that my machine doesnt have glow plugs. Im 90% sure that I seen a grid heater in mine right on the intake manifold. I had a manual emailed to me for our machines and im gonna try to look through it tomorrow and see what it says.do you turn your key backwards to get your glow plug/grid heater to work.

  3. #3powerjoke2013-12-31 21:53

    Glow plugs will be in the head, grid heater will be on the air intake very close to the motor, if you have any way to test amperage draw on the battery it I'll tell you if the glow plugs are drawing and working. If you don't have an ammeter just throw a volt meter on the battery and see if the voltage drops Or just turn the lights on and then preheat and watch for the lights to dim..... I had the very machine your talking about but it's been several years and I don't remember sorry Pj

  4. #4jack3452013-12-31 23:34

    On the load side of relay (wire going to preheat) check with ohm meter with key & preheat switch off ( relay not energized) ohm meter should read less than 50 ohms to ground. If open circuit preheat is bad.

  5. #5powerjoke2014-01-01 00:21

    I wouldn't think that would hold true, the resistor in the glow plugs is so strong that even if 2were bad and one were good it would still read the same resistance, they are in parallel not series I am sure. Also would not be a good test if wire somehow went to ground. It would be more accurate to check amp draw or voltage drop, once he locates the glowplugs just simply unhooking isolating them and touching them to 12v individually would show the good/bad ones. More than likely they're only a few bucks each and could replace them all. On a side note to the OP what motor is in that ? I have a box full of used yanmar and kubota etc glowplugs I would be happy to send you some free of charge. Pj

  6. #6jack3452014-01-01 00:51

    You are right, they are not in series and each glow plug would have to be checked. Checking amps would be best if you know the load.

  7. #7dschumacher2014-01-07 23:56

    even though you are equipped with the glow plug light, i don tthink the sr-2 has glow plugs, mine does not atleast not that i even found. my glow plug light also does not illuminate. the click you hear may be 1) injection pump solenoid and 2) electrical relay