Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

03 Bobcat S185 Drive Chains, Is there any adjustment?

Bobcat Crazy ยท 2019-07-13 22:45

Hi All, My S185 has been doing well for a while but now I have to replace all 4 axle seals and the bearings. I have a good understanding of this procedure and have the first axle almost completed. I am concerned that the drive chains man be too loose. I have not found any posts of how to adjust the chains. While surfing the web I did find one post that said there is no adjustment for the Bobcat drive chains. Is this true, and if so how can I tell if they are actually too loose? Thanks for your help B-Crazy

Replies5
  1. #1KSSS2019-07-14 19:35

    They advertise them as automatically adjusting or something to that effect, If they are out of spec. the chain maybe worn out.

  2. #2Bobcat Crazy2019-07-14 21:30

    Thanks for the answer. Do you know of a link where I could get the chain specs and how the measure?

  3. #3willie592019-07-14 21:38

    Every Bobcat I've worked on those chains have slack in them, even with new chains. And no, there's no tensioner or adjustment. Bobcat uses a continuous chain, no master link. I can't recall the size of the chain links, but if the slack gets excessive from chain wear or worn sprockets then the only way to properly repair it is with new chains or sprockets as needed.

  4. #4Bobcat Crazy2019-07-14 22:20

    That gives me the answer I needed. The sprockets look good, not brand new of course but they have many hours left in them. So I will continue with the bearing and seal replacement. It does not get used daily but just for me to work around the farm, it probably doesn't get one full hard day per month so the chains will lasts me for years. I loaned out my machine and when it came back it had a little oil on the rims. I thought, this guy was doing me a favor he oiled the lugs in case he had a flat while he was using it, (silly me) that just shows how little I really know about my B-cat. But once I started using it again I realized it was bad seals, it is just strange to me that all four seals started leaking in a shot amount of time. I guess its just that they were all the same age and the were all just used up. Anyway when I pulled the first axle out it was obvious that the bearings needed replacing. I have seen bearings that were much worse but these were just before starting to grind. From the looks of this first on the chain has had some water in it at some time. The other side may be even worse because the last time I used it the right side popped a couple of times. I found the RR wheel loose, thought that was what I was hearing but after tightening it the popping what still there from time to time so I think I will find a bearing on that side that has mostly been used up. Thanks for the answers Guys! I will try to complete the bearing and seal job this week in the evenings after work. Hopefully I will have it ready to work/play again be the weekend. That is if I don't find any surprises. One of these days I am hoping to get back to the Case 90XT. I still don't have it running but I am so close, my next step on it is to have the injector pump rebuilt. It would have been so much easier to of had that done while I had the engine out but (silly me again ) I though that because it was working when the previous owner killed/fried the crankshaft it that the pump should be fine. Just my luck I guess . Have fun Guys! B-Crazy

  5. #5Bobcat Crazy2019-07-21 10:21

    Hi All, I have the Bcat back together and working good again. Thanks for all of the help and advice! I appreciate your time! B-Crazy, because I think I am, and I am happy that way