I was running my 04 D3G Dozer a few weeks back and I was tracking along, stopped, then when I tried to go forward again the right track locked up and the parking brake light came on. It was about 5 degrees out so I figured it to be a temp issue. We heated the valves up, no luck, heated the track, no luck, waited till it was 40 for about a week straight and still no luck. I’m lost. We got the Parking brake light to go out but the track still will not move. It isn’t binding. Any suggestions?
The light indicates no brake release pressure. If you get it to go off when you release the brake you likely have pressure. Will the LH sprocket turn when you try to move forward or reverse? If the LH side moves a bit look for trouble in the RH brake. Later Bob
Left track works fine. Parking light is out.
What does it sound like if you try to drive the RH side only? Does it load up the drive pump or run free? I suspect a blown and jammed up drive motor but could be a brake or jammed up final drive. Later Bob
It doesn't do anything. Motor won't die down, no noise from sprocket area. Nothing.
Try pushing the machine when you put it in gear and see if you can move it freely. You might be able to get brake released and move it to a better place to work. Sounds like the motor might have let go or a coupling broke. Get to a place to work on it then check hyd filters, motors should have a case drain filter to minimize contamination. Later Bob
Replaced drive motor. Still not working. Removed axle and it rolls. Should be the brake right?
With the axle out, try to turn left and see if the drive loads up. If it does pull the brake. Later Bob
What usually goes wrong in the brake?
Why did you change the drive motor? Did you perform any pressure tests? Brake pressure at brake pack, drive loop pressure for right side?
Called out the cat guy and he said it was the drive motor. Got a reman for 5 grand and didn't fix a damn thing.
Do you have any fault codes on the hour meter? I would think if it was the brake it would load up the engine.
Drive motors and pumps are a closed loop, most time when one fails ( rotating group ) both need to be serviced, did CAT tech look for codes, hook up gauges, pull filters? What is your serial number?
Oil is leaking out of the brake and I'm getting oil there so pump should be good
Cat guy pulled some codes but he didn't seem like he wanted to investigate it every much. I think he was afraid to get dirty.
I don't know for sure but if the linings come loose they can pile up. Where is the oil leaking out of the brake? Later Bob
Was oil leaking before drive motor was changed, how many hours and what serial number?