Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

05 Case 430 Fuel shutoff

Sir_Luddy · 2023-07-25 09:26

Good morning, I'm not a diesel mechanic but I can work on stuff and understand what I'm doing while knowing my limitations. I'll keep this as short as possible. Skid started lugging and acted as if it was starving for fuel. Broke lines loose at injectors and check for flow. Flow was good. Had injectors rebuilt. Reinstalled and started to bleed lines. Could not get lines to bleed. Checked for flow at injection pump, no flow. Check voltage: 11.6vdc. Started pulling fuel lines to check for flow to injection pump. There's a Hydraforce fuel shutoff installed that's not in my schematic parts book. It receives 11.6vdc from the same post on the injection pump. Removed it, cleaned it and tested in the shop. The magnet is clicking but not opening the valve. I bypassed this shutoff valve and hooked fuel line directly from filter housing to injection pump. Everything runs normal and shuts off normal. So here's my question: Why would this shutoff valve have been installed? Do I need to order a replacement? Thanks! Justin

Replies11
  1. #1bad Tom2023-07-25 15:41

    Is this shut off valve mounted above the fuel filter? If so, that could be the option on some 430's. Some had it, most did not. I don't think it's needed. I don't know why it would have something like that on there.

  2. #2thepumpguysc2023-07-25 20:46

    I’ve seen a lot of military type vehicles that has’m.. It’s a waste of good money..

  3. #3Sir_Luddy2023-07-26 08:21

    It's mounted on the chassis wall between fuel filter and injection pump. I had a chance yesterday to operate the skid for prolonged periods and though it ran great, it wasn't shutting down properly. You could tell the injection pump wasn't stopping the fuel flow. It also would die after idling for a few minutes. So this leads me to think: 1) Do I have a fault in the injection pump that was cured by adding the fuel shutoff valve? 2) The shutoff valve was there all along. I'm not sure why it would die when idling. It's running better than ever since I've owned it (2 years) and she only has 1350hrs with all new air and fuel filters. Was a lucky purchase, I know. Thanks for looking and taking the time to reply.

  4. #4thepumpguysc2023-07-26 20:09

    If u snap a pic of the inj pump, I might be able to tell you how to adjust it..

  5. #5Sir_Luddy2023-07-26 21:54

    Good timing on that request. It’s not idling properly after running it for a day. Wants to die if not throttled up a bit. Never did that before

  6. #6thepumpguysc2023-07-26 23:27

    U have 1 of the pumps that likes to implode.!!! U just have to keep an eye on it.. In the meantime, try bumping up the low idle screw 1/2 turn. U have to change the fuel filter often and check the condition of the fuel filter..

  7. #7Sir_Luddy2023-07-27 06:17

    Thank you for the insight, but you'll have to elaborate on "implode". Also, since I'm not a diesel mechanic, just a carpenter that's used to working on small gas engines and was a aviation hydraulic mechanic 20 years ago. I see 2 throttle stop set screws on top and that the knob far left under the black fuel line "rotates". If you're referring to the throttle stops, I'm 99% sure the idle stop is the back one and would need to be tightened to reduce the return of the throttle linked. Don't be afraid to talk to me like a kindergartener. Both eyes and ears are wide open and I'm very thankful for you guys and forums like these. I do not have the owner's manual nor service manual. I only have the parts schematic book. Lud

  8. #8thepumpguysc2023-07-27 07:42

    U r correct..

  9. #9Sir_Luddy2023-07-27 08:16

    Like a dummy, when I first started trouble shooting and before I had the injectors rebuilt, I turned the knob but did not pay attention as to which direction. I fear that is causing my idle issues. Can you tell me what rotation does what and the increments in which I should adjust? I'll slap on a sharpie mark for starting reference.

  10. #10thepumpguysc2023-07-27 12:09

    Move the throttle from low to hi & figure it out

  11. #11Sir_Luddy2023-07-27 15:23

    Your response lacked nuance, and though I managed to "figure it out" with the machine now purring like a kitten; I was hoping for a reply closer to: Have a good one gents. Thanks for the help.