Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

05 Mack Granite Dump Truck Problems

KingRanch ยท 2012-02-20 09:19

Hi All, I hope that someone might be able to help me out. I am new to this truck and have two problems. The first is that whenever I first start the truck and sometimes after I start the truck say after a lunch break I get two dash lights "Electronic Malfunction" and "Engine Shut Down" that do not extinguish themselves for several minutes after start up. Eventually the lights do go out. The other strange thing that happens related to this problem is that some times when I am making right turns the truck will shut down seemingly for no reason because it starts right back up without hitting the engine shutdown override switch. I am assuming the lights are related to the engine shutting down every once and a while but I have had this into the shop several times and they cannot find the problem. Has anyone experienced this problem before?

Replies4
  1. #12stickbill2012-02-20 12:17

    Check all of the electronics wires where they plug together for corrosion a green looking substance around them. unplug them and clean connectionsWe had one that give us fits.Would shut down then after awhile crank up.One time it died and would not start.Bad connection was all it was.There is a fuse box on the fire wall under the hood by steering shaft.Has one wire going to ECM start there work to the other end.I think there is some wires going on top of tranny too.Check all wires. This will not show up on the scanner most of the time. Hope this helps.

  2. #2KingRanch2012-02-21 09:22

    Thanks I will start there and check it out. I did find out why the malfunction light and shut down light remained on for the first 10 min. This truck has the VMAC-III system and apparenty even though the engine coolant level looked to be fine the system was registering low coolant level and once the engine warmed up the light went out. Put in about a cap full of coolant and now the light doesnt come on anymore. Now I just need to solve the shut down problem.

  3. #32stickbill2012-02-21 10:16

    That plastic coolant tank is a joke.A lot of them get cracks in them.Used to be able to order a metal tank.We got an 2007 that leaked water at Thermostat housing.I think there is two O rings to seal it.Only leaked when cold.

  4. #4Jim Dandy2012-02-22 21:10

    If you don't figure it out go over to bigmacktrucks.com and see if someone there can help you.