Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

06 Volvo EC210BLC won’t start

Trevor Slack ยท 2016-08-29 16:53

Hello, I'm new to the forum and a new excavator owner please forgive me if I ask the occasional silly question. I bought a 2006 Volvo EC210BLC last week and it was delivered 2 days ago. When I looked at the machine it started up right away and when the delivery driver dropped it off it started right away for him. I tried to start it yesterday and it wouldn't fire (only the occasional burp) is there anyone that knows what I may be doing wrong? thanks for any help that may be offered>

Replies12
  1. #1Norbert772016-08-29 19:31

    Shutoff lever pulled out?

  2. #2Trevor Slack2016-08-29 21:58

    It doesn't have a shutoff lever that I'm aware of, only the ignition switch. I have the operators manual and it does not talk about any shut off/down lever. When I turn the key to the first position it is supposed to go into a preheat mode, the manual states to wait for the preheat warning lamp to come on and then you are to wait until the light goes out and proceed to turn the key to the crank position to start. The problem I'm having is that the preheat warning lamp does not go out after it comes on and the warning lamp starts to flash. If I try to start it, it will crank over very well but not fire. I'm wondering about a possible fault in one of the buckles to the ecu or ground fault issue, does anyone else have a similar problem or know the fault?

  3. #3Norbert772016-08-30 00:23

    The 2001 ec210 I looked at was a plain old mechanical cummins. Needed a shutoff solenoid or lever, didn't see how it was shut off. Check the side of the block. The pump should have something to it. If it is a cable follow it.

  4. #4uffex2016-08-30 04:02

    Good day Trevor Try operating the primer pump for the fuel get some pressure and try to start again. KR Uffex

  5. #5200lc12016-08-30 11:00

    I had similar issues with my excavator getting loaded and delivered, had to purge the fuel system. Didn't have enough fuel in it to climb on and off the low bed. Different machine though.

  6. #6Trevor Slack2016-08-30 11:28

    First I'd like to thank you guys for your time and helpfulness, I think I have a fuel issue so I've already loosened the banjo fitting at the block and bled the fuel system and have already pumped up the primer pump. I think this machine has electronic injectors and am wondering if I'm getting a signal to them to open. I'll have a look after breakfast to see if there is a shutoff, but I'm doubting there is one. But again it wouldn't be the first time that I've been wrong and definitely won't be the last.

  7. #7uffex2016-08-30 12:14

    Hi Trevor Another possibility is to try it in manual mode, if you are not getting any other error signals to give a clue. KR Uffex

  8. #8Trevor Slack2016-08-30 12:42

    Hi Uffex I.m going to try to start it again how do I put the machine into manual mode?

  9. #9uffex2016-08-30 12:56

    Trevor please check your in box there you will find a email address drop me a line I send you the information direct. Kind regards Uffex

  10. #10uffex2016-08-30 12:58

    Sorry should say at the top of the screen click notifications Uffex

  11. #11Trevor Slack2016-08-30 13:04

    Ok I think I managed to send you an e-mail, Trevor.

  12. #12Trevor Slack2016-09-01 11:28

    First off I'd like to thank those of you that have tried to help with this problem I had. I've got the machine running again thanks to a tech out of Kamloops B.C. ( if there is anyone in this area and has a Volvo that needs help I would gladly pass on his number, this man knows his stuff) it turns out that here in B.C. if you have an excavator doing forestry work you need to install an emergency shut down switch (aftermarket) when the delivery driver dropped the machine he shut it down using the emergency shut down switch, there by shutting down the air intake (aftermarket valve installed in air intake hose) when this is done you need to manually open the valve in the air intake by rotating a lever 180 degrees. I've ordered a new air intake hose as I don't want this shut down and am not prepared to take a chance on having it go bad down the road. Once again as in many cases it turns out to be something simple and a quick fix, so for anyone else out there who may have this problem this may be your answer as well. People sometimes we tend to over analyze things and make them more complicated than need be, again I'm reminded of the KISS theory (keep it simple stupid) and have learned another lesson. Thanks again people and good luck to all of you.