Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1:50 chains

[-Agent-] ยท 2008-08-22 03:33

Anyone know where I could get some realistic 1:50 scale chain to tie equipment down with? I am thinking that maybe I could go to a craft store and get some like necklace chain stuff and cut it to size and bend it to make some hooks. What do you guys think?

Replies12
  1. #1JD40202008-08-22 17:13

    Go to a local hobby shop, they will have chains, and a large supply of other detail parts.

  2. #2stretch2008-08-22 18:29

    How about Lego chain? It would be easy to cut down to size with pliers or something but I'm not sure if it would be long enought to tie down the equipment. I suppose if you get two or three sections you could connect them together with a piece of thin wire or some sort of jewelery fastener.

  3. #3[-Agent-]2008-08-22 20:04

    I have some lego chain, well one, but I find it too short most of the time. Does lego have any LONG lego chain?

  4. #4stretch2008-08-22 21:57

    Not really... but I think I might actually have a longer piece somewhere. Other than that, I'd say go with the hobby or craft store and see what they have.

  5. #5surfer-joe2008-08-22 23:14

    Try DHS Diecast or Buffalo Road Imports online. There are other online sites as well. You might also try a local Michaels craft store, or, as others have suggested, a local hobby shop. Good Luck!

  6. #6[-Agent-]2008-08-23 03:25

    I am going to the lego store sunday, I am thinking I can snip the ends off and use a blow torch and melt the ends together? Not sure if that will work at all though.

  7. #7WabcoMan2008-08-23 06:24

    1:50 Chain Agent, See your friendly local model railroad hobby store. They have 1/87 (HO) chain which is closer to 1:50 scale and is available in realistic lengths. You can get pre-blackened stuff which is very realistic. I use it all the time to create dioramas. Happy modelling :drinkup

  8. #8alan627b2008-08-23 14:23

    hobby lobby and craft stores can be your best friend...i got some fine mesh fabric, for scale fencing, from the bridal dept. i got some amused looks from the ladies, though! check the cheap jewelry, and dollhouse accessory dept for ideas for modelling. you can get a lot of necklace chain for the same price as a little "scale" chain from a hobby shop. Westlake hardware stores carry a lot of small fastners and odd items the big guys don't. alan627b

  9. #9[-Agent-]2008-08-23 14:29

    Hey guys at our local hobbyshop on the website I see they have 2.5mm x 2m anchor chain for model boats, this could work...

  10. #10Lashlander2008-08-23 23:55

    Here ya go. http://www.dhsdiecast.com/shop/product_detail.cfm?product_id=6234

  11. #11JD40202008-08-24 00:41

    I know Zyconmodels.com sells chain.

  12. #12[-Agent-]2008-08-24 01:04

    SWEET!