Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1/87 scale model of Kress carriers

slagpot ยท 2006-09-19 06:49

Hello all, In my spare time , I'm a model railroader modeling a fictional steel mill. Steel mill vehicles can't be bought ...so I have to scratch build them. So far I've built two carriers from the Kress family. The first {the orange one} is a kress hot metal ladle carrier. The second is a 1970's design scrap box carrier, both models are scratch built/ kit bashed using a HO scale norscot caterpillar 627G scraper front end.The rest of models is completely scratch built including the scrap box. The last photo is of Wal-mart toy bulldozers that I've added details to. Below are pictures of my work. Slagpot http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d5/Dragonriversteel/DSC00234.jpg[/IMG ] [IMG]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d5/Dragonriversteel/DSC00231.jpg

Replies8
  1. #1tylermckee2006-09-19 09:06

    Any more info on the construction proccess? how many hours do you have into each one? what kind of tools and material do you use?

  2. #2Electra_Glide2006-09-19 12:18

    Cool, me to. Been doing it in one form or another since I was a little kid. http://home.comcast.net/~kantz1/layout.html Unfortunately, not much progress since that last website update. Never enough hours in the day... Joe

  3. #3slagpot2006-09-19 15:00

    The hot metal ladle carrier {orange one} took about four weekends to complete {36 hours tp be exact}.The scrap box carrier took two weekends including the amount of time to build the scrap box itself {12 hours}. As for tools.....a dremel,hobby tools,tons of styrene plastic,old toy parts,sand paper and a bunch of spare time. Slagpot

  4. #4murray832006-09-19 19:26

    i'm into the hobby as well,excellent pieces.you end up having to scratchbuild your cars too? lol Electra_Glide at least you can run your models mine are in boxes in the attic .

  5. #5slagpot2006-09-19 20:09

    Freight cars or vehicles ? If vehicles, most companys offer 1/87 vehicles now. Wal-mart ,here in the state have them.Mostly I buy kibri vehicles,their the only ones that carry heavy equipment,other than norscot. Glad you guys like the models Slagpot

  6. #6murray832006-09-19 20:11

    freight cars actualy lol least your not into N scale scratchbuilding those units :wink2

  7. #7slagpot2006-09-19 20:25

    Ah....all of my freight cars are high end kits,such as walthers,Athearn,Roundhouse,Atlas and so on and so forth.The steel mill cars are a mixture of Walthers,Trix,scratch built,State tool & die {slab cars}, and others. The one behind the orange kress ladle carrier is a Trix model of a 300 ton hot metal car,a 16 axle die-cast monster of a steel mill car. I bought all the Walthers steel mill kits,from the blast furnace to the rolling mill and all the little bugger's between. Yup my trains are in rubbermaid boxes for now,till I build a shed in Jan 07.So I'm stuck to my work bench till that point in time....rats.

  8. #8CascadeScaper2006-09-20 02:25

    I'm a big fan of model railroading, since I was about 5 I've had a train set. Never had the room for a full on permanent layout, but my uncle is big into the hobby and he has a 10X20 room done pretty nice. He's been working on it a good 10 years, still not finished, you know how it is. Someday maybe when I'm retired I'll have a house with a garage and a good sized upstairs studio to the garage I could dedicate to the hobby. Right now, it's school, work, and I'm blowing my extra cash (whatever little I have) on professional photography equipment, it's my newest adventure.