Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1-wire Delco-Remy alternator with tach terminal

fitterski ยท 2019-11-17 16:38

I need such a self-exciting (internally regulated) alternator for a cummins 5.9 extracted from a '95 ram. Of the 4 mounting styles https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Selecting-an-Alternator I need the 2" spindle version. Low or medium output capacity is plenty enough. Can anyone suggest an exact model number?

Replies8
  1. #1Delmer2019-11-17 16:51

    This is what popped up on fleabay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ALTERN...m1dUr6D:sc:ShippingMethodStandard!54665!US!-1 What kind of belt? you'll probably need to find a multi V pulley, right? Most alternators are "internally regulated", if you really want a one wire, then get "one wire". Nothing wrong with it for a conversion like this, but wiring a switched power feed to the alternator is worth the trouble too.

  2. #2fitterski2019-11-17 17:00

    It's a grooved belt, as stock on '95 ram diesel truck. I saw that alternator model a few minutes ago but cannot positively identify the tach connector on the image (some makers label it R, some others W, the image not at all). From the looks I could probably swap my existing grooved pulley over.

  3. #3fitterski2019-11-17 17:06

    ok, I just id'd the R terminal on a blown up image, yeah, that looks like it could be perfect. I don't really need a switched supply, it's for a snow blower with everything either running full tilt or shut right down

  4. #4Delmer2019-11-17 20:40

    If you have the existing alternator, you could wire the power supply through an oil pressure switch, or with a diode from the injection pump power (the diode keeps the alternator from back feeding the injection pump and not letting you shut it off). Also saw replacement multi V (grooved?) pulleys for Delco alternators, just another $20.

  5. #5heymccall2019-11-17 21:42

    A 5.9, P7100, 190 hp snow blower? Pics?

  6. #6fitterski2019-11-17 22:02

    The injection pump is a mechanical P7100 (engine is an old cummins 12-valve). Before engine start I connect the battery ground and from then on until I'm done (about 1-2 hours) everything stays ON and HOT. After a few minutes warming the engine goes to 1800 or so and never comes down. The current alternator is a externally excited DB-Electric that has lost some diodes and has killed 2 voltage regulators, so I'm keen on trying a 1-wire model with a tach tap and Delco-Remy or Denso (2 makes I've had good experiences with). I 'could' do without an alternator altogether but the belt needs an idler pulley which would have cost me almost the same price as an alternator so I installed and alternator (modded with a stator tap for tach) I figure I would simplify my life with a 1-wire-plus-tach Delco/Denso if I can find one, or a DB if I can't.

  7. #7fitterski2019-11-17 22:11

    it's 175hp but that don't mean nothing because I can only use about 1800-2000 rpm, The engine replaces with twice the torque an earlier Deutz 4-holer that was undertorque. I just changed to a better rubber coupling that for once allows me a service-factor of more than 1/2 )) There will be an update video later in the season, for now I have other probs with the 'hosting vehicle' now gone into a pro shop (other thread).

  8. #8fitterski2019-12-06 14:00

    THIS is with the Cummins: