Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

10,000 yards.. What size dozer?

crazycajun ยท 2010-07-28 18:35

I have to move 500,000 cu yards in 120 calender days. Average haul 800 ft. I will have 4 D400's being pulled by 2 quadtrac's and 2 independant 740's. I will be loading with a 385, 7.25yd bucket. 5-7 acre hole +- 35ft deep. i will just need to pile dirt in 3 specific locations, piles will be approx 20ft tall. i plan to run the trucks on top of the pile as i go up. Hoping to haul 10,000 yards/day What size dozer will i need to keep up with the trucks? I have 2 D6N's. Looking to aquire something that can handle this situation.

Replies11
  1. #1heavylift2010-07-28 20:00

    better throw a blade into the mix

  2. #2crazycajun2010-07-29 11:20

    will probably have a tractor with a 16' boxblade on back

  3. #3ontrac2010-07-29 23:13

    www.everyspec.com/USN/NAVY+(General)/download.php? ... see if this works as a link if not google seabees planners and estimators handbook, page 58 lots of info here.

  4. #4ontrac2010-07-29 23:18

    http://www.google.com/search?source...42&q=seabees+planners+and+estimators+handbook my bad here it is

  5. #5SE-Ia Cowman2010-07-29 23:21

    Just a few questions 4 d400 being pulled by 2 quadtrracks are these dumptrucks turned in to trailors then pulled in tandem if so I think one will be a load we pull one 30ton trailor behind a D6t and on slopes or in the mud it is a load. Also the 800 foot Haul might be a bit shy a 800 x 800 hole 33 feet deep with straight sides is 778316 yards figure in a 3:1 side slope and the hole wouldnt be enugh to get 500000 yards out of therefore depending on were you put the dirt it may be a longer haul than 800 feet and 500000 yards will make a pile that is 21 feet tall 120 wide and a mile long. But to answer your question 6 40 ton haulers makeing 10 loads an hour would be about 1920 yards an hour if you dont need any compaction and your just strikeing the piles off a D8r would probably work. If you need to meet compaction or have to cary very far with the dozer might need a couple 8s But there are a lot of variables

  6. #6ontrac2010-07-29 23:30

    Do not forget material swell. Where is the water table? I would think you would be in the mud by 35 feet.

  7. #7crazycajun2010-07-30 19:02

    Well, I guess I won't be loading 1920 yards and hr. Prolly can't get more than 1,000/hr. I am already pulling 4 d400's behind 2 535 quadtrac tractors. Quite heavy, but works exceptionally well. Getting 2200 yards per tractor per 11hr hauling 4500 ft. It's in a landfill, and they have the piles drawn on the plans, no compaction. I'm hoping watertable is below -18ft elevation, cause that's where bottom grade of cell is. I have a dirt pit 20 miles south of there and at -22 elevation we are running tri-axles on bottom no problem. I believe I'm gonna try to keep up with a d6N and a d6T. The N will dress the hole also. I'm gonna try to get some pictures of quads w/ dumps. We are selling dirt to a big road contractor getting paid 60/yrds a load.

  8. #8xcavate2010-07-30 21:31

    I saw a job the other day that was using 2 PC1250's and 10 artic haul tracks that moved 10,000 cy's a day. 385 might be a little small. You want two pass loads with a 10 cy bucket.

  9. #9crazycajun2010-07-30 23:59

    Well if i cant load 8000 a day with a 385 and 7 40 ton'ers hauling 1,000 ft from the hole I need to quit and do something else, I hauled 4000 today with one tractor and 4 tri axles hauling a mile onsite with a 345, and of course the trucks were bunched together... I can work 12-15 hrs if need be to get it done...

  10. #10SPLUNK2010-07-31 09:40

    Why would you not use tractors and pull pans on this job, eliminate the dozer problem, excavator problem, fewer employees, less fuel, less investment> 800ft haul,a quad with a 20 yard single scraper can cycle in around 4 or 5 minutes with a good operator.

  11. #11crazycajun2010-07-31 19:25

    Well, for one i already have the quads and double wagons, and i dont think at 18ft below sea level it will be possible to run on the bottom. I know the guy who did the first two cells 10 years ago and he said it was definately not scraper dirt. Infact he didnt even bid on it. I am getting $1.99/yrd to move it. Think i can make any amount of profit?