Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

10 ton Hollow hydraulic cylinder

hosspuller ยท 2015-08-11 13:06

I've a Deere 310C Backhoe that needs some bushings in the boom & swing frame. I'm considering buying a hydraulic tool to remove / Install the bushings. Will 10 tons do the job or do I need to step up to 20 tons ? (I've seen the 30 ton cylinders used by the line boring techs on the big jobs) Thank for your responses. :drinkup

Replies6
  1. #1lantraxco2015-08-11 17:24

    10 ton will probably be fine if you freeze or dry ice the bushing prior to install. I use a 20 tonner but some of my bushings are over 3" OD. Taking them out is simple, either run a weld bead or two the length of the bushing, or do the same thing with a welding tip by heating a line in the bushing from one end to the other in a couple places. When they cool they shrink and will come right out.

  2. #2wornout wrench2015-08-11 17:33

    I think it would depend on how much of an interference fit your bushings are, by that I mean how much crush on the bushings. One of the shops I worked in, the machinist would make the bushings that we pressed in. He liked them tight, and by tight I mean the 30 ton ram was maxed to get the bushings in. After the bushing was installed he would hone to fit the pin. Good news was that those bushings would never ever come loose. Bad new was that they were a bear to install. How hard is it to get dry ice in your area. You could shrink the bushings with dry ice. I have used liquid nitrogen, but that is getting into a whole different game.

  3. #3RayF2015-08-11 20:10

    With bearings the size you find in backhoes I normally machine a dolly up and hammer them in.Or pull them in with some all thread and some washers. JD don't have a lot of interference on their bearings so unless you have a hollow ram handy I wouldn't bother with it. Anything 3 inch and over I use liquid nitrogen.

  4. #4clintm2015-08-11 21:37

    on the ram it never hurts to up size unless there is a clearance issue

  5. #5John C.2015-08-13 00:05

    I've always been OK with my 12 ton hollow ram, ready thread and a twenty pound hammer. I've been able to do the equalizer bar bushings in a 375 Komatsu dozer with it.

  6. #6hosspuller2015-08-13 11:03

    Thank to everybody that replied ... The reason for the 10 ton number was ... I was considering buying a HF hydraulic knock out punch. I would have some future use for it besides the bushings. That ram was a "10 ton". To rent a 20 ton hollow cylinder & pump for a week would be about the same money. Too bad, when I went to see/buy it I found the ram didn't have a though opening. There was a cap on one end, holding a spring that forced the ram to home position. The other major fault was the thread used to pull the punch (and my all thread) was metric.