Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

10w30 oil in Hydraulic system

Jack Verwey ยท 2021-10-30 08:13

I am changing oil in my skid steer. It is a 435 Case diesel engine. It calls for 10w30 oil in the hydraulic system. Can I use regular car 10w30 in it without hurting it if I don't have enough of the 10w30 diesel oil?

Replies8
  1. #1Tinkerer2021-10-30 10:13

    Welcome to HEF, Jack ! What model is your skid-steer ? If you use motor oil in the hydraulic system you should add the HTO additive. Tractor Supply sells a 10W-30 weight oil specifically for hydraulic systems.

  2. #21693TA2021-10-30 10:19

    That is what I use in my 1845C which is a 1995 model build.

  3. #3Jack Verwey2021-10-30 11:17

    It is a 435 Case. I have 10 gallons of the correct oil but I need about 12 gallons. I was just wondering if it would hurt if I used regular 10w30 to fill what I needed.

  4. #41693TA2021-10-30 11:30

    I don't think it would hurt anything. I have a couple friends with 1845C tractors and they run 10W-30 engine oil in the hydraulics with no other additives and haven't had any problems. Same with the chain cases which is what I do and 15W-40 in the Cummins engine.

  5. #5Jack Verwey2021-10-30 20:18

    Thanks for the input. I was thinking that the little that I would need to fill to level shouldn't hurt but I just wanted to see what others may think. It's on my to do list for Sunday. Have a good day.

  6. #6KSSS2021-10-30 21:09

    Regular 10-30 is just fine. The 1800's required the HTO additive, the newer models do not.

  7. #7Tinkerer2021-10-30 21:26

    "It is a 435 Case diesel engine." The lack of a comma between Case and 435 is why I questioned what model it is. Even tho I never heard of a 435 diesel engine.

  8. #8Jack Verwey2021-10-30 21:36

    Yes it is a model 435, Case diesel engine.