Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

12-16K Excavator for farm cleanup and general farm use.

Dadnatron · 2024-08-11 21:25

I’m looking for a used excavator for general farm use. I know the general question has been asked before, but my question is more in making a choice for both today and tomorrow. For the present, I’m looking for general cleanup of fence lines, some small pond work, and trenching. I want to keep it for the long term for similar needs, but they will likely be smaller and smaller. I have 126ac mostly cleared. And while I can’t say clearing a little more would never occur, it would more likely be clearing up inside of woods rather than clearing them totally. ie, moving in and clearing brush, smaller scrub trees, etc. Primary need at this point is clearing 20yrs of growth along the fences and around larger trees. I did this on my previous farm with a JD 5100E and a Danuser Intimidator. It worked… but I pushed that little tractor hard to do so. I was thinking an excavator could do it better and faster as well as give me the options for more significant dirt work. I rented a small excavator several times on my previous farm and would have used one much more, had I one on hand. So this time I was looking at getting one off the top. It would be staying on farm for the most part. Wouldn’t be hauling often, if ever. I think I’d like to stay in the Cat 305-307 range, size wise. Although, that is the reason I’m here. I like the 306CR, it seems to do what I need, but that is coming from little other experience. I’d like to get the biggest bang for my buck, and since I wouldn’t be using it hard, day in and day out… I don’t require a “beast”. But I do want something reliable, as I have just a bit more money than time. I’m sure there are other brands equal in ability, but perhaps better price or reliability? Location is Lexington KY. We have Cat, Komatsu, John Deere, Case, Bob Cat, and Kubota dealers that I know about. I want to ensure I have a good service connection, so want to stay with a brand with good local support. What are your recommendations for something used in this range? I know Cat has a name brand premium, but I have more experience with them, as that’s what I rented. Looking for reliability as, I can wrench a bit, but Id rather limit repairs as much as possible. Any local knowledge on good/bad service would also be helpful.

Replies15
  1. #1Lagwagon2024-08-12 08:17

    I know you’ve probably only budgeted for this size machine but so Many more possibilities for your farm open up with a larger machine. I would aim for a 312 size at minimum & With a thumb. I’m sure you’ve seen all the similar advice on here previously, but thinking about the future your sure-as-eggs going to regret only having a 6 tonne machine when something big comes along, not to mention servicing other people’s requests when they come asking.

  2. #2TCat2024-08-12 08:28

    In your post your mention that you "can wrench a bit". Not sure how much repair costs weigh into your brand decision, but for me one of the things I put a lot of thought into is the availability of aftermarket parts for any machine I buy. In my case I have to fix everything I buy, and my budget is always very tight so aftermarket parts availability for me is a big factor. Just thought I'd mention it. T

  3. #3Dadnatron2024-08-12 15:58

    Repair costs certainly are in the equation, which is one of the reasons I’m here asking for recommendations. I’m not going to do big repairs, I can work my job and pay someone more qualified to do a better job. But smaller, quicker things, I can do. This is one of the main reasons I’m shy about getting something more heavily used. My budget is $75K at top end, but I’d really rather stay around $50K. Most of the larger machines have 4K+ hours in this price range whereas I’ve found many 6-7 ton machines with <1K. And while I absolutely understand the ‘bigger is better’ thought, my concern long term is that I’ll likely need smaller type projects much more often than big things. And for big things, I’d likely hire a good contractor to do it anyway. I’m NOT going to be competition for anyone around. I just want to have the use when I have the need. Trenching, waterer installation, cleaning up, etc is what I can envision in a couple years. My current need is bigger than my future needs. I’m trying to size for both.

  4. #4Dadnatron2024-08-12 18:21

    Is there a website that will have a “repair history” for a given VIN? Obviously repairs outside ‘the system’ won’t be in it, but does Cat have a VIN history similar to John Deere? And if so, is there a way for me to input a VIN and get a repair history on a machine?

  5. #5MG842024-08-12 18:58

    For the uses you describe something in the 5-6 metric ton class, maybe as high as 8 ton, would do fine. I know the general consensus is bigger is always better, but I just don't think you need much more than what you are looking at. I've done a lot of work with machines in that size range and they are plenty capable of anything I've come across on my farm. If I were clearing 20ac of mature hardwoods that's one thing, but selectively cleaning up a fence row is totally another. I think you are on the right track, Kubota and Takeuchi are my top two brands for a mini ex, Deere/Hitachi would be next. Not a fan of Case or Bobcat mini's, never dealt with Cat or Komatsu. I've spent a lot of time running a Tak TB260 and currently own a Kubota U48-5. You should be able to pick something up with 1000hrs or less in your price range, if it was well cared for it will give you many trouble free hours.

  6. #6MG842024-08-12 20:28

    I'll also add this, you're likely to get widely different opinions because you're situation means very different things to different people. Cleaning up a farm or cleaning out a fence row to a Midwestern row crop farmer means an entirely different thing than to a cow-calf farmer in Virginia(like myself.) The former is probably looking for a D6 and 200 class excavator, I might just be looking for a tractor with a loader and a chain saw. As for your last question, for most brands that information is only available to the dealer. I don't know of any databases that are public, even the dealer information may only record warranty repairs and the like. The larger rental houses like United keep a somewhat detailed repair/maintenance history, but whether you want to buy a former rental machine is another question altogether.

  7. #7Dadnatron2024-08-20 10:12

    I was able to find a Kubota KX080-4S2 with 400 hrs. Thumb Separate Auxiliary hydraulics Very clean. Downside is no quick coupler. And requires Kubota specific buckets/attachments. I think I'd prefer pin grabber style hydraulic quick coupler, as it seems like I see those connections on most rental attachments as well as at sales. I haven't really looked, but Kubota attachments don't seem to be as common. 1. What is your opinion on adding hydraulic quick coupler to my machine? What is your cost estimate in Lexington KY? 2. Would you go with a pig grabber type quick coupler? I like the Rhinox version, but they don't make one for this machine. Recommendations would be appreciated. 3. Would you do it? I'm 55, and while I am very physically capable at the moment, I can see in 10-20 years, cussing the fact that I am out in the cold/heat trying to beat pins to switch buckets, etc. 4. I'd also like to get an angled grading bucket. If you have recommendations, I'd appreciate them as well.

  8. #8Welder Dave2024-08-20 16:33

    I think the Kubota would be a good machine for you and I think couplers are an option on most machines. If the cost allows you a little more budget for accessories you could always have the Kubota buckets or attachments modified to fit the coupler of your choice. You might be able to buy the proper ears and just cut the old ones off and weld the new ones on.

  9. #9Georgia Iron2024-08-21 00:05

    I would not do it. Changing buckets is a pia unless you keep them well greased and do it often before dirt and grime can lock the pins in place. Of course it is price dependent., which I missed. Your budget is high and you can get a lot more machine for less money. 25k is getting some nice deals here in the south. Construction is about to have the bottom fall out I would wait till the election. One of the most important things is reach the further you can reach the more you can do look for 25' or more

  10. #10KSSS2024-08-21 01:59

    You likely could find a machine that has a hydraulic coupler already on it. Some options I like, Wacker Neuson makes a great machine in the ET90. The CASE CX80 is good to go. If you are stuck on this one, I would negotiate the hyd coupler. Understand however, that will change your thumb set up. A pin grabber (my personal choice as well) will make the stick alittle longer and the thumb will not match to the bucket. I would find a better machine or get them to make the changes necessary at a price your willing to pay. My choice for hyd coupler would be Werk Brau or Strickland. I would order your buckets through WB.

  11. #11skyking12024-08-21 11:56

    There's nothing wrong with wedge couplers for changing buckets if you're not doing it all the time. I've lived with those for 20 years now at this company. It would save you a ton of money and complexity. I can see having pin grabber style when you're doing production work and going back and forth between the bucket, the cleanup bucket and the hoe pack. But I've survived just fine with the wedges.

  12. #12BC Placer gold2024-08-21 14:50

    Same here… Also wedge couplers stay nice and tight; no play. I usually change buckets 2-4 times per day on our 210. Takes 2-3 minutes per change.

  13. #13MG842024-08-21 21:53

    I personally am a fan of the Kubota style quick coupler. It's simple, durable, and stays tight a lot longer than some others. There is a trick to changing the bucket on the Kubotas that most people don't know, roll the bucket all the way in, bring the stick all the way in, and set it down just above ground level. When you get the position right the notch in the bucket ears rests on the round tube, and the bucket is almost perfectly balanced. Grab a bucket tooth and it takes very little effort to move the bucket fore/aft if need be and the pin will go in perfectly. No tools, no hammering. OEM buckets, aftermarket buckets, new or old, I haven't used a hammer on a Kubota bucket pin in years since I figured that out.

  14. #14materthegreater2024-08-21 21:58

    I have a Werk-Brau pin grabber on my Bobcat E60. Always stays tight since there is always hydraulic and spring pressure on the pins at all times, 10 seconds to change attachments without leaving the cab (except for when the attachment has hoses to connect or disconnect). I sure am lazy P.s. added benefit is attachments can be mounted either way. It's quite handy to put a bucket on backwards at times.

  15. #15pollard1232024-08-22 08:15

    I’m looking for a used excavator for general farm use. I know the general question has been asked before, but my question is more in making a choice for both today and tomorrow. For the present, I’m looking for general cleanup of fence lines, some small pond work, and trenching. I want to keep it for the long term for similar needs, but they will likely be smaller and smaller. I have 126ac mostly cleared. And while I can’t say clearing a little more would never occur, it would more likely be clearing up inside of woods rather than clearing them totally. ie, moving in and clearing brush, smaller scrub trees, etc. Primary need at this point is clearing 20yrs of growth along the fences and around larger trees. I did this on my previous farm with a JD 5100E and a Danuser Intimidator. It worked… but I pushed that little tractor hard to do so. I was thinking an excavator could do it better and faster as well as give me the options for more significant dirt work. I rented a small excavator several times on my previous farm and would have used one much more, had I one on hand. So this time I was looking at getting one off the top. It would be staying on farm for the most part. Wouldn’t be hauling often, if ever. I think I’d like to stay in the Cat 305-307 range, size wise. Although, that is the reason I’m here. I like the 306CR, it seems to do what I need, but that is coming from little other experience. I’d like to get the biggest bang for my buck, and since I wouldn’t be using it hard, day in and day out… I don’t require a “beast”. But I do want something reliable, as I have just a bit more money than time. I’m sure there are other brands equal in ability, but perhaps better price or reliability? Location is Lexington KY. We have Cat, Komatsu, John Deere, Case, Bob Cat, and Kubota dealers that I know about. I want to ensure I have a good service connection, so want to stay with a brand with good local support. What are your recommendations for something used in this range? I know Cat has a name brand premium, but I have more experience with them, as that’s what I rented invisible text . Looking for reliability as, I can wrench a bit, but Id rather limit repairs as much as possible. Any local knowledge on good/bad service would also be helpful.