Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

12H pics

bigblueox ยท 2007-07-20 22:00

here are a couple shots i took on my home of a 12H arriving at a job near my house.

Replies8
  1. #1Lashlander2007-07-21 01:46

    Cool pics!:thumbsup I don't think I've ever seen a lowboy with those wheels on it before.

  2. #2wrenchbender2007-07-21 19:33

    That's strange around here it seems to be the wheel of choice,only in the 15" size those do look a little taller though.

  3. #3JimBruce422007-07-22 20:46

    Cool pics, We have a few lowboys just like that one. Just out of curiousity, who's grader is that? I can see a decal by the 12h, but can't read it. Thanks for sharing.

  4. #4LowBoy2007-07-22 23:03

    Those are pretty popular, Lashlander. They're 5 spoke Dayton's, or open wheels as some refer to them. The ones in this picture are wearing low profile rubber,but are normal 22 or 24 inch steel rims... We nicknamed them "Chicago Wobblers" up here in the northeast, because if you don't tighten them up in sequence and use a guide (just a simple wood block, or even the sledgehammer head on the floor, next to the tire,) when you run them on with the gun, they'll...you guessed it....wobble.:drinkup

  5. #5Jeff D.2007-07-22 23:11

    A few of us around here call them Dayton kind "wagon wheels".

  6. #6LowBoy2007-07-22 23:15

    And that's just where they belong, too...on a chuckwagon...

  7. #7Lashlander2007-07-22 23:49

    They call em California wheels out west. I've seen them on a few tilt decks and some older trucks but never seen them on a lowboy. I thought they were a thing of the past. I was hauling a big Bomag roller one time on a Hyster 20 ton tiltdeck. A car pulled out in front of me and I had to get on the brakes hard. The wheels spun inside the drums and ripped the valve stem off of all four tires on the front axle. The lugs that were supposed to keep that from happening were smeared clear off.:Banghead

  8. #8Jeff D.2007-07-23 00:02

    The trucking co. I drove for as a company driver had Daytons on all their Int. 9670's. They started having troubles with studs breaking off on the steer axles from either overtightening or shock and the tires would work loose or come off. We ran alot of Canada, and at that time (early-mid 90's) Canada, or atleast Ontario for sure, was coming down hard on trucks that lost tires while on the road, because of numerous fatalities. They then changed all the steer axles to Bud's, but left the Daytons on the rears & trailers.