Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

12r22.5 on 8.25 rim

Canadian_digger ยท 2017-10-05 17:25

Would it be a problem running 12r22.5 tires on 8.25 rims? Specs say they should be used with 9.00 rims

Replies5
  1. #1DMiller2017-10-05 17:44

    Will end up with pretty significant center of tread wear, may cause sidewall stressing under load.

  2. #2Junkyard2017-10-05 21:27

    Steer axle or somewhere else? If not steer, watch pressures until you arrive at a pressure that promotes even wear. If steer axle, again watch pressure and wear on edges of tire. May have to have alignment adjusted a bit. I had a couple trucks with 14,600 front axles. Had 12R24.5's on them, standard width wheel. Once I got the alignment right and appropriate pressure based on load I could get pretty good life out of them. Wouldn't bother me at all, I know dump truck guys around here running 315's on standard width 22.5 rim with pretty good tire life results.

  3. #3crane operator2017-10-05 22:05

    A 8.25 in aluminum is only a 7,400lb load rating, a 9.00 will get you 10,000lbs. But I don't think the 12r would have more load rating than a standard rim? I went with a 9.00 rim on 315's on my steer axle because I didn't want a DOT man to read that capacity on the rim.

  4. #4FWD2017-10-10 22:08

    I did the same as DD and for the same reason and also peace of mind with more capacity. FWD

  5. #5Canadian_digger2017-11-04 20:42

    Seen on continental and Michelin web site that you can mount their 12r22.5 on either 8.25 or 9" rims. I will be mounting them on 8.25 as 9' aluminum Alcoa rims are over $600 each.