Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

12v RGN Pump

PDG X · 2024-07-16 18:34

Is anyone using a 12v hydraulic pump on a ground bearing / single cylinder RGN trailer ? Want to use a trailer on an older tractor w/o wet kit. The trailer only has the front ‘kick stand’ cylinder, and don’t want to add a full gas powered pony motor pump, since it will be rarely used. Would like to use a 12v Hydr pump if possible. Per the trailer Mfr, the cylinder spec is 2500psi / 20gpm max. If so, what did you use ? Suggestions ?

Replies18
  1. #1Truck Shop2024-07-16 19:17

    C.O.--he knows all about those.

  2. #2PDG X2024-07-16 19:22

    Who ?

  3. #3Shimmy12024-07-17 00:35

    One of my customers has a Muv-all RGN that has a electric pump system on it. It's a non-ground bearing, 2 cylinders, so it does work. I have no idea what or where to source a 12 V power pack. Good luck, let us know what you find. I'd say you're probably going to want at least 8-10 gpm or it will be stupid slow.

  4. #4PDG X2024-07-17 07:44

    Thanks. Any chance you could reach out to him ? It seems straight forward, but want to do it right the first time.

  5. #5PDG X2024-07-17 07:45

    Who is C. O . ?

  6. #6bam19682024-07-17 08:14

    Crane Operator

  7. #7Tyler d4c2024-07-17 08:18

    There is a cheaper yet option

  8. #8crane operator2024-07-17 14:37

    I've got a 12v pump unit mounted on a hydraulic cylinder dump box. We just run off two deep cycle batteries. Box has 4cylinders , but they are only 1 3/4"-2" rods, maybe a foot long. Not nearly as large of a cylinder as your trailer. I'll try to find the specs on mine this weekend, but I think it's only 2-3 gallons a minute, and it's double action. A lot of the "Amazon" pumps are only single action for a gravity dump trailer, you would need double action, and some of those have different relief settings for up and down. I think I would want some batteries with some big cables,on the trailer, and then a charging line, they draw quite a few amps. I also think it's going to be slow, but you should be able to get enough pressure out of one to lift it. I think a truck wet kit only runs 2,200psi or so, just with a lot more gpm. Let us know how it works out, sounds like fun to put together.

  9. #9PDG X2024-07-22 14:18

    Were you able to look at your unit ? Most electric units appear to be 2 gpm max.

  10. #10crane operator2024-07-22 20:07

    Mine is only 1.1 GPM @ 2500psi. Max of 2600.

  11. #11PDG X2024-07-24 12:13

    There appears to be a 2 gpm limit to electric powered pumps. Talked to several mfrs/distributors and 2 is their max w 12v motors. Can anyone tell what pump is being used on their gas powered pump ? I just hate to add a gas unit that won’t use a gallon of gas in a year, and deal with carb problems. Thx

  12. #12cfherrman2024-07-24 14:23

    How strong are 110v pumps? Those suitcase generators are very handy and might be better to have to mess with then an engine sitting.

  13. #13MarcusZ19672024-07-24 15:41

    Northern Tool goes up to 14GPM looks like. https://www.northerntool.com/categories/hydraulic-power-units

  14. #14crane operator2024-07-24 20:06

    I've put on 5 or 6 PTO and pumps/ wet kits. I've always just bought used ones from the junkyard. They've always got stuff from tipped over dump trucks or 2 line kits. I don't think I've ever given over $500 for a used one. I always figured if the truck doesn't run, then you don't need hydraulics. And I'm no fan of pony motors, because I have no luck keeping small gas engines running. I've always had good luck finding something used in a wet kit, because I've always been mounting on a eaton of some flavor. What kind of transmission is in your truck?

  15. #15PDG X2024-07-25 14:37

    Ya, that’s my concern with a pony motor hydr unit - those little gas engines are a pita when they sit for any time. It’s a Mack duplex trans.

  16. #16PDG X2024-07-25 14:39

    Thx. Theirs is an option, if I end up going gas engine pump. Running out of electric options.

  17. #17PDG X2024-07-25 14:40

    Will have to check that as I do have a couple small Hondas. thx

  18. #18PDG X2024-07-25 18:29

    One mfr said it takes 2 hp / gpm. So 12v unit isn’t possible.