Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

13 Speed R/Ranger Clutch slipping in High range only??

Dicko ยท 2013-07-19 17:42

I have an old 1986 Isuzu tipper CXZ16 fitted with 13sp R/R. Problem is the clutch slips a bit in high range only?? I can take off loaded up hill in low range no problem, when I select high range the clutch slips, even slips when the truck is empty in high range. How is this possible, wouldn't the clutch slip all the time?? OR could it be a gearbox problem?? Doing my head in !!! :Banghead:Banghead:Banghead

Replies3
  1. #1mitch5042013-07-19 19:28

    Easy, you normally see the clutch slip in high range first, since that is where the load on the clutch is greatest. Anytime you are checking a clutch to see if it slips you shift into a high gear at a low speed, if it doesn't slip then, it'll never slip. There is nothing inside your transmission that can slip. I have worked on more than a few 13spd Roadrangers, but I've never honestly seen an Isuzu with one. If they use the same style of clutch as the US ones, you may just need it adjusted. This is done by adjusting the pressure plate inside the bell housing. If you drive it long with it slipping you can convert a $75 adjustment into a $1500 replacement.

  2. #2willie592013-07-19 20:10

    Agree with Mitch, we have no idea what type of clutch the truck has. If it has a linkage clutch, it has to have some free play at top of pedal. No free play on linkage clutch = clutch slipping which rapidly equates to smoked clutch disk.

  3. #3Dicko2013-07-20 19:37

    Problem solved. Rear seal on engine started leaking. Gearbox out and new clutch ordered. Old clutch was worn out anyway. Thanks for the help. This is a great forum!