Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1400B JCB – Alternator Belt Replacement????

pyro-1955 ยท 2013-07-09 11:24

I have a 1400B that I have had for over 10 years, the Alternator belt broke on me last night. Anyone have any tips on how to change the belt? I have never had to change one on a tractor with a front Hydraulic Pump, which the Backhoe has, is it as simple as unbolting the U-Joint from the front shaft? Will it move far enough to get the belt on???? Thanks in advance, Pyro.

Replies4
  1. #1pyro-19552013-07-17 13:27

    No replies, but in case anyone else has this issue, the hardest part is if your old belt is completely broken, preventing the pump shaft from turning while you are trying to remove the 4 bolts into the crank pulley is the toughest thing. Once that is complete it's easy, move the shaft forward just a bit and slip the new belt into place.

  2. #2robin yates uk2013-07-18 00:20

    good to know you got it sorted

  3. #3Bruce George2013-07-24 08:36

    Hi I'm new guy here but I did same job few days ago. I used vise grip chain tool around crank pulley and slowly turned over the engine to access the four 9/16 bolts. When I lift back left wheel it's hard to turn over like something binding inside and that is the only wheel that brakes work do you have any ideas? Also how do I post this question publicly for anyone to reply ? Thanks Bruce

  4. #4pyro-19552013-07-24 10:13

    I ended up having a piece of 1/2" re-bar handy, which i used to put into the yoke of the PTO shaft. I removed all 4 bolts without turning the engine.