Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

140H 6400 hrs, transmission issue?

jaclo · 2019-03-26 19:09

Just getting in the vehicle and leaving for the day. In forward, I can’t engage 1,2, or 3. In reverse, I can’t engage 1 or 2. The machine will not move if I try to start in any gear other than 6th in reverse or 8th in forward, which obviously means it’s currently parked and not being used. It allows me to downshift as I stated above, but nothing that allows operation. It’s been sitting all winter just getting it out finally, never have had any trouble with this machine. Fault codes being thrown are for engine/ground speed sensor so that’s coming tomorrow. Any experienced wrenches seen this one?

Replies8
  1. #1Nige2019-03-27 06:41

    Was it OK (in other words did you have all the gears) when it was parked for the winter..? Serial Number would help for exact information. Your problem of no 1,2,3 forward and no 1,2 reverse would seem to point to #7 clutch which is the common factor in all those speeds. Electrical connection to the #7 clutch solenoid maybe..?

  2. #2jaclo2019-03-27 12:03

    APM2131 Oh yeah, machine has never missed a beat. All gears worked all year last year. Shift solenoid is on the way from the dealer.

  3. #3Nige2019-03-27 12:14

    The solenoid itself may not be bad. You may have nothing more complicated than a bad harness connection to the solenoid, or even on a connector somewhere between the transmission ECM and the transmission. Without looking at the schematic I have no idea how many connectors there are in between. You need to prepare yourself for the possibility that the problem is not necessarily going to go away even if you replace the solenoid.

  4. #4jaclo2019-03-27 13:25

    Yeah, someone mentioned a possible mouse issue Thanks for your time and input

  5. #5jaclo2019-04-05 10:47

    You called it Nige, much appreciated for pointing us in the right direction and saving us a caterpillar service truck call.

  6. #6Nige2019-04-05 11:13

    So what exactly was the problem..?

  7. #7Queenslander2019-04-05 18:37

    I suppose there’s a logical reason, but why was the harness routed through the articulation at almost the lowest possible point on the machine?. I’ve always wondered why they didn’t put it above the top artic. pin, away from dirt, water, sticks etc. Would have been good to get it above those darn fuel tanks as well.

  8. #8jaclo2019-04-05 19:37

    Number 7 clutch solenoid. Wires looked good, must have just been some kind of internal electrical failure. Remove and install and she took right off.