Would like to see if anyone has had a problem with fan or fan pump noise on 140m. Serial #b9d1908. Never makes a sound till summer heat gets here. Starts whining from 1500 rpm up. It’s fairly loud in the cab with the doors closed. This is the third 140m I’ve had this problem with and we’ve never found a solution. Any help would be great. Thanks
Is it just noise or does something actually break once you can hear it?
Also hydraulic temp is higher than I would think it should be. Running about 195 degrees during the afternoons.
Just the noise. I don’t know of anything that has broke.
The fan works on demand. The hotter the systems, the faster the fans turn which means more noise.
I understand that the fan works on demand speeds up as needed. This whining hydraulic noise isn’t normal. And the high temp isn’t normal.
Do you have something in writing from the manufacturer that says what is too hot? Most would say that if nothing has broken and it has happened on three different machines, that it just might be normal.
A few thoughts. What hydraulic oil are you using..? Brand and viscosity if you have info available. Is the machine electronic system correctly configured for the type and weight of the oil as per above..? There are different options - provided that the machine software has been upgraded to the latest version. Your 140M was built in 2008, the software upgrade came in about 2010 IIRC. Has a test been done of the fan speed to ensure it's responding correctly to system temperature..? 195F (90C) I wouldn't class as too hot in a hydraulic system on an M Series grader.
Can you post a video of the noise?
Most of our 140m’s never get hydraulics over 160 degrees..so it’s running pretty warm. If anyone has dealt with this problem let me know please. Thanks
OK, now I'm confused. Is it just one specific 140M (B9D01908) where the hydraulic temperature gets up to 195..? How many total hours does the machine have on it..? Because in your OP you mention "This is the third 140m I’ve had this problem with.........." when talking about the noise from the fan. You keep asking if anyone has seen this problem before but not answering the questions of the people who are trying to get a bit of background info to let them get their heads around the issue and try to help you.
We have the 2008 model 140m and I must say the fan is about the only thing on the machine that never flew to pieces, and there is no whining noise you speak of on our 140m sense new, but the highest temperature average here in summer is around 80-85 F, so the demand on the fan would not be as high I would think as in the heart of the summer in Texas would be, so the demand on the fan in your machine would be a lot more then ours, I would have to side with Nige on the oil viscosity and brand type plus software upgrade also always make sure your Rad's are kept clean, run nothing but Cat hydraulic oil, it is specifically designed for the M series hydraulic system, I believe there is a summer and a winter hydraulic oil for big temp swing like here between the seasons, you may have to get the proper viscosity hydraulic oil for the temps you are running your machine in, the newer m series are different with the regen systems and DEF systems and reversing fans they run now.
https://ch-part.com/i.caterpillar/rebe53230001/
Took a while to find
Good detective work. It must have been a challenge to run that down. It aooears as though there was a Service Letter to improve the Check Valve. Your machine will be well past that point but here is the announcement for the new part.