can anyone put me in the right direction? i have a 1987 vintage 1455b loader i need a motor for (the old motor has seized, ran out of oil and no one checked that it had a leak) ive tried turning it over w a dig bar on the flywheel, no movement, so im guessing main bearings siezed? i figure finding a replacement motor is the best thing other than to scrap the machine ill post the serial number when i get over to the machine again does it have a cummins or case engine? 504bdt? what other machines was this motor in? its a pretty obscure machine so there isnt much info out there thanks
Hi farmer, I helped a friend of mine put a 4-71 detroit in the same machine about 10 years ago. It only took a little fabrication , motor mounts and such. He had the motor laying around so it worked out well for him. Those motors are pretty common so you should be able to find one a lot easier than a case 504, I would imagine.
That 1455 may be older, but its still a good machine. DONT scrap it. I have heard of guys swapping a 5.9L dodge cummins truck motor in a 1155 before. I know you can find em at wrecking yards or on craigslist sometimes. There is probably several swaps that may work. Dont give up and have the steel sent to china.
If its a b model it should have a 504 case engine in it and those were in a lot of tractors and such, I'd opt to repower it with a cummins like the newer machines had, my 1155 has a 5.9 cummins and I believe the larger ones had the 8.3 cummins in, I'd go with the 8.3 cummins and get one from a salvage yard and redo the mounts and bell housing to make it fit, I'd never put a detroit in because they are about as obsolete as a case, the older 504 case quit making parts for years ago and they are spendy to get fixed even today if you had one working. Those engines were mostly in case 1270,1370 two wheel drive tractors and 2470 and 2670 four wheel drive tractors along with the 1450 and 1455 crawlers, after 85 when case went belly up they went all cummins and from then on they were cummins engines, a major improvement for starting and parts and parts availablity. You can even get engine mounts and bell housing info from case and use the shop manuals to update it to newer specs and it would make the resale of that machine a lot better than putting in something else if you ever wanted to get rid of it.
I've got a 1987 Case 1150E dozer in my salvage yard. Think the motor is a Cummins, recently overhauled as per former owner. If you think it'll fit, call. 318 359 4827
That should be a naturally aspirated 8.3 cummins if its in a 1150e and it should be putting out about 120hp but add a turbo and you should have the hp to run the 1455 just fine, I'm thinking thats what the later 1455's had in it.
It has a factory turbocharger on it. Call if you want it.