Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

14k equipment trailer deck ideas

wiseoldj ยท 2023-05-05 21:52

Hello all, Thought I would post a question to some more experienced folks. so here it goes. Im driving from Sacramento area to alaska and need to purchase a 14k trailer. 1.) I need to move some roofing pannels that are 23',9" and 88 inches wide. 2.) A deckover 22ft (looking at a pj t8) would work. However, I would prefer a standard fendered trailer. Has anyone ever made some sort of platform to temporarily raise the bed above the fenders of a trailer? If so could you post some photos or explain your design. Thank you in advance!!

Replies13
  1. #1chidog2023-05-05 22:50

    How much will the load weigh before the addition of a bed riser?

  2. #2wiseoldj2023-05-05 23:06

    bout 8000k

  3. #3Delmer2023-05-05 23:36

    I'd think about buying enough 2" foamular 250 to do it, even if you end up selling it up there, it might make you a few bucks even?

  4. #4Welder Dave2023-05-06 00:26

    If the trailer had stake pockets you could make some 2x4 cross members to carry the load over the fenders.

  5. #5wiseoldj2023-05-06 02:02

    I did think about using some long length 4x6s like jenga blocks to build it up to enough height. The only problem is i might hang over the back of the trailer a few feet. I really like both ideas what is foamular 250? I assume a foam of some sort.

  6. #6wiseoldj2023-05-06 02:03

    nevermind quick google search answered that question thats a fantastic idea.

  7. #7wiseoldj2023-05-06 02:04

    any other thoughts?

  8. #8BMSCPA2023-05-06 06:47

    Just stack pallets up.

  9. #9cfherrman2023-05-07 00:01

    How far are you driving this 8000# load? If it's from Sacramento to Alaska I don't think a 14k trailer will make it.

  10. #10wiseoldj2023-05-07 12:49

    sacremento to Alaska. sorry for the long response

  11. #11CM19952023-05-07 13:12

    The pink or blue foam board is what I would go with. I bet there's a good market for it up there if you didn't use it yourself. Light, strong and wouldn't rattle on the Alcan HWY. We had a bundle of the blue stuff left over from an O'Reilly auto my guys used to insulate their gun shop.

  12. #12cfherrman2023-05-07 14:36

    I'd get a trailer with 14 ply tires then. Imo trailers are rated for like 50% loaded time.

  13. #13wiseoldj2023-05-08 14:21

    gotcha thank you all for the input!