Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

15 ton excavator

island excavator ยท 2021-09-04 14:26

HI, I'm new to this form so hopefully i'm posting this right. I'm looking to buy a 15 ton excavator and i'm hoping I can get some info on what's best. my first thought is I would like to buy one that's older and doesn't have a lot of electronics on it. is there a big difference in cycle time, hydraulic presser, and overall strength in the older excavators compared to a newer one? Thanks

Replies4
  1. #1John C.2021-09-05 12:24

    Electronics is in the hydraulic controls all the way back to the nineties. It's the engine controls that you have to worry about. Cycle times haven't changed much at all from the eighties. Pressures are all in the 4,000 to 5,000 PSI top ranges. What all the machine builders are working toward is better fuel economy and compliance with emissions laws. No one makes a bad machine anymore. Some are better in certain characteristics and all have problems getting parts now days. Probably better to find a machine you like and then ask questions on here. Are you up in the San Juans?

  2. #2island excavator2021-09-05 12:44

    Thanks John. Yup the san juan islands

  3. #3John C.2021-09-05 13:26

    If you see something you like, Excavator, a member here is an independent field mechanic that works up in the Bellingham area. PM me if you would like his contact information or mine.

  4. #4CM19952021-09-05 21:21

    Welcome to the Forums IE! Glad to have you.