Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

160-200 class excavator

treemover · 2019-11-26 21:01

In the market for a 160 -200 class excavator, 08 newer , all dealers are same distance, we run majority deere, we had a 160 deere before. Looking at deere komatsu and Volvo. Any input on these?

Replies16
  1. #1southernman132019-11-27 10:37

    We have deere 200clc good machine. We also have Komatsu PC200LC-8 as well as a Volvo Ec290BLC. Volvo is really nice seems very well built. I love the Komatsu. We’ve also been running a deere 210GLC. 16’ model seems like a very nice unit. 3500 ish hours. We’re running it for the owner. It’s is gonna be for sale. Pm me if interested. Thanks

  2. #2funwithfuel2019-11-27 11:03

    EC160Lc super smooth. I guess it matters what you're doing with it. If you want fine control with smooth controls, Volvo all the way. If you just wanna sling dirt, whatever is cheaper, I guess.

  3. #3treemover2019-11-27 19:06

    We dig basements, light demo, tree removal and some ponds. Looking at a Volvo ec 160d lc, actually cheapest and lowest houred out of the 3. I want a nice smooth machine, I think all 3 dealers are about equal, how good are the Volvo’s?

  4. #4funwithfuel2019-11-27 19:28

    The Ds were the beginning of trouble, emissions wise. They were Tier IV interim. They continue to exhibit problems. Emissions are the only take away I have from them. The engine is a little Deutz. Very reliable. If you can get the dealer to let you demo, I think you'll be really surprised how smooth they can be while still having plenty of power when needed. In all fairness, the excavator line didn't have a fraction of the issues that the loaders experienced. Same engine, same emissions controls, different operating conditions. Ask to see repair history. Also ask if it has been equipped with caretracks. That's a cool feature. You can learn a lot the more you use it. Pretty much all mfrs have this tech under their own names. Good luck in whatever you choose. BTW I currently work for a Komatsu dealer, their telematics are superior in my opinion. A PC170-10 would not disappoint, either. But for plain old smooth operation, I've yet to see a Volvo get beat.

  5. #5suladas2019-11-27 21:19

    While mine is a 2008 and older model then you're looking at, I really like my volvo 210c. Only other real seat time was in a Deere 225 and overall prefer Volvo although the Deere was a pretty good machine also. Probably the only thing better about the Deere was cold weather starting. At 0F the Deere would start no problem, while the Volvo struggles at that temp a bit without some sort of heat.

  6. #6treemover2019-11-27 23:17

    How bad is the emissions on the Volvo’s?

  7. #7KSSS2019-11-28 11:22

    They are problem here as well. If you could swing it, I think I would try and skip the 4i machines.

  8. #8funwithfuel2019-11-28 11:28

    The excavators seem to have gotten straightened out compared to the loaders. Still run the risk of a problem with costly repairs. The shame of it is, the machine will be in otherwise perfect condition, then an emissions value will be out of range and you're staring at a couple thousand to get it straightened out. As mentioned above, try to find a low hour Tier III machine which would be a C-series Volvo or -9 Komatsu.

  9. #9treemover2019-11-28 13:38

    Can they be deleted?

  10. #10Nige2019-11-28 13:59

    Based on the fines for both the machine owner and the shop who did the delete, the answer would appear to be no.

  11. #11treemover2019-11-28 17:27

    Happens all the time to other equipment.

  12. #12Tags2019-11-28 20:01

    I think the problem you'll find is trying to locate a company that makes new programming to let the machine run once you delete the emission control systems. If you do find programming that does allow it to run once deleted,if you have a problem and go back to the dealer with the machine or any authorized shop they can't work on it without the risk of getting fined....don't get me wrong, I don't believe in the problems and fuel consumption the emissions systems seem to cause, but imho, it's just not worth the risks to delete them at this point....they really have all of us by the short an curlies if you ask me....

  13. #13Nige2019-11-29 03:58

    Don't shoot the messenger just because you don't like the message content..........

  14. #14Bls repair2019-11-30 09:01

    Only needs to happen once.

  15. #15KSSS2019-11-30 09:17

    At least at this point your forewarned. You haven't bought one yet and can sidestep the problem. No way I would buy one with the plan of deleting it to make it run. Who I feel for is the guy that buys a new machine only to find out it wasn't as "sorted out" as he was told or believed it would be. At least now there is the Interweb. Much easier to stay current just like what is happening here, knowledge like this can save a lot of money and headache if you tap into it.

  16. #16farmerlund2019-11-30 13:16

    I have a 2005 Volvo 210 with 6,000 hrs. owned it for 3,000 of them very reliable machine. the biggest repair I have had to do was the ECU for the engine $4500. Otherwise just hoses and other small things. Mine has no emission bs. I would definitely buy one again.