We had a mouse that decided to make a nest up in the area where the instrument cluster mounts. While up there it ate the wires to the 10 pin connector that connects to the cluster down to the darn plug. I brought the cluster home to try and repair the connector but lost the connector somewhere at Lake Pillsbury CA. So question. I have the large service manual but the diagram for the diesel engine does not clearly show the connector as it is on our cluster. I can get another connector but would like to know where by the color code the wires land on each pin one is not used so we have 9 wires. Last thing I want to do is burn up the board. putting the Red and Black on the wrong pin. Any help greatly appreciated. Dennis
Oh man, I feel your pain. Had a similar situation a while back—those little mice sure know how to pick the most inconvenient places to set up camp. You’re totally right to be cautious. Getting power and ground swapped is a good way to kill the cluster instantly, especially with these newer boards that aren’t very forgiving. If the manual doesn’t clearly show the wire colors and pin positions, I’d try to find a connector view or pinout diagram specifically for your cluster. Sometimes those are tucked away in the back of the service manual under “connector views” or “component wiring.” If not, forums are a good bet—there’s always someone who’s had the same issue and might have posted a clear diagram or photo. Since you’ve got 9 wires left and one unused pin, that makes things a bit easier. Usually clusters have wires for power (red), ground (black or black/white), ignition (often pink or yellow), and then a bunch of signals like coolant temp, oil pressure, speed, maybe a CAN pair if it’s newer (green and yellow twisted pair). If the harness is still good further down, you can use a multimeter in continuity mode to check where each wire leads—fuse box, sensor, whatever—that’ll help you figure out what each wire does. If you can get another 10-pin connector (same shape and layout), you should be able to rebuild it, just make sure the pins match the original layout. I’d test everything with a small inline fuse (1 or 2 amp) just to be safe when you first power it up. Also, if you can share the make/model/year and what machine this is for, someone here might actually have the diagram you need. That would save a lot of guesswork. Hope you get it sorted out—and hopefully the next mouse picks a less expensive vacation spot.
Thanks for the reply its appreciated I will search the manual some more I just saw the price of the cluster at 1800 and wiring harness at 525 so I will keep looking to see if we can get the pin diagram. I have traps everywhere the battle begins Dennis
Forgot its a Case 1825 uni-loader think its a 1990 with the Diesel engine This is the diagram from my 3" thick service manual