Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1840 vs 1845c

DevinHalaburda · 2024-07-08 19:25

I understand the difference between the two but has anyone ever ran one side by side? 1845c has deeper gear reduction and the mechanical leveling. Plus a few more hundred pounds on the lift capacity. The reason I’m asking is there seems to be fewer 1845c available in my area. The 1840 seem to be more plentiful and just a little bit cheaper. They also seem to be less beat up. I’m just curious how much worse the 1840 is. I saw a kit for the mechanical leveling for $60-100.

Replies17
  1. #1Ed ke6bnl2024-07-08 22:26

    I would be curious wear I might fine an auto level add on

  2. #2DevinHalaburda2024-07-09 22:10

    Case 1840 Hose - Loader Valve to Self-Leveling Valve - #3 See our Case 1840 Hydraulic Hose - Loader Valve to Self-Leveling Valve 5500psi Hose with Abrasion Resistant Cover . Click now to See details! hwpartstore.com

  3. #3KSSS2024-07-09 23:37

    I have had I think 6 1840's through the 90's. Never owned a 1845C but have ran them. What I liked about the 45 was the 12X16.5 tires. Not sure if you can mount 12's on the 1840, I never tried but I liked those much better. The 45 had 6 more hp, but I am not sure you notice. Certainly nothing wrong with the 40's that the 45's doesn't also share. If the 250 pounds of additional lift and longer wheel base don't mean much, the 40 is just fine.

  4. #4DevinHalaburda2024-07-10 08:13

    Is the 1840 strong enough to pull up sod efficiently or does it just spin. I have a job coming up where I’ll be removing all the topsoil raising the grade with around 200 yards of fill then putting the topsoil back down. Will it handle this okay? I’ll have my mini ex there for help too.

  5. #5Ed ke6bnl2024-07-10 08:14

    my 1840 came with 12x16.5 tires from previous owner they were new so I left them on. BUT they make grading harder because the bucket does not lay flat on the ground. that is my thoughts.

  6. #6KSSS2024-07-10 09:26

    Yea that is a good point, and maybe that's why I never did it. The 1840 will pull up sod as well as the 1845C, that said, pulling sod depends on the moisture in the sod as to how easy it is. Dry and hard sod can be difficult for any smaller wheeled machine. I landscaped literally thousands of yards and giving how bad the soil here, most of the yards were hundreds of cy of topsoil per yard. The 1840 moved it without issue.

  7. #7kenworth2024-07-10 10:10

    My advice would be to buy the 1845 instead of the 1840. I have run both and I prefer the 1845 because it's a little bigger and stronger than the 1840. I have an 1845 and would never think about having anything smaller unless I had to work in small area's a lot. There are a lot of nice low hour 1845's out there for sale for a reasonable price if you seriously look for one compared to something new.

  8. #8DevinHalaburda2024-07-10 13:37

    Sounds good. I’m just going to keep my eyes peeled for either or. I need something to pair with my mini ex. A new machine is just too expensive right now. I will be getting a track machine a few years down the road.

  9. #9DevinHalaburda2024-07-10 13:41

    What bucket do you prefer? A toothed or smooth edge?

  10. #10bad Tom2024-07-10 18:10

    I use the tooth bucket for digging and the smooth for spreading dirt or rock.

  11. #11KSSS2024-07-11 19:24

    I always used a smooth bucket.

  12. #12MG842024-07-12 13:17

    I'm curious why you chose the 1840 vs the 1845c when (presumably) buying new? Was there that much of a price difference? Size/weight considerations? As to the OP, I'd hold out for the 1845C if you can. The extra weight, wheelbase, hp and larger tires are all a benefit for what you are doing. The 1845C was/is the more desirable of the two which is why it brings a premium price. You may look for one of the slightly newer Case XT series as well (60xt, 75xt, etc). I've never owned one, but the ones I ran seemed pretty nice. Regardless of which model you get, I'd suggest a low profile excavating bucket with teeth, no wider than the wheels, which would be 72" for an 1845C. Also make sure it has good tires on it, you'll need all the traction you can get. Years ago I did many cut/fill jobs for building pad with my 1845C, several in the 500cy+ range.

  13. #13KSSS2024-07-12 17:14

    In those days it was a size issue. The hp was so close it was sixes. I liked running the 1840. I bought a 95XT in 98 so after that, I used the 95 for the big dirt moving jobs and the 1840 was nice for running a rock rake around sprinkler heads and so forth. The 1800 series is iconic, but honestly the XT and later the 400 sized machines were simply better, the hand controls were tons better, the braking system infinitely better than the pin system in the 1800 machines. Those machines would sometimes have issues with safety switch issues, but other than that, I found them just as reliable, but tons more productive. If I was looking for an XT model that would be somewhat in that weight class. My first choice would be a 70XT. Its compact, lifts about 2200 ROC and incredibly powerful. The only issue was lack of two speed. The 440 which was the newer version of the 70XT solved that issue and remains to this day one of my personal favorite all time SSL that I have owned.

  14. #14DevinHalaburda2024-07-13 00:29

    What’s the advantages of they grey cab vs brown? Worth the extra money for a grey cab?

  15. #15KSSS2024-07-13 13:08

    The grey cabs have a continous lap bar. The brown versions are a two piece. There are some other changes, that I cant recall at the moment. All that said, after conversations with others. Machines that were made at the time of the change over some brown cabs did come with the updates, so it not always a given brown cabs don't have the updates.

  16. #16alrman2024-07-14 15:44

    Something to consider in the 1845C early vs later series - is the planetary gear set between the drive motor & chain case. Models from JAF0067438 no longer used the planetary reduction & changed drive motor from Cessna to Danfoss. The reduction unit was not able to be easily serviced & was often overlooked - creating failures that were very costly. 1840's never used the planetary reduction units.

  17. #17Welder Dave2024-07-17 02:01

    The 2 piece lap bars were a joke. I think they were just a quick fix to satisfy an OHSA requirement for an operator restraint. I ran an early 1845 a bit and am sure glad I wasn't running it when I tipped into the side of a dump truck. I don't think the 2 piece lap bars would have done anything more than a seat belt. I didn't like the full height posts over my shoulders because they really limited your view in close quarters.