So I took the tires off my 1845. the fellow I bought it from said one was foamed filled. I think 3 of them are. there very heavy. trying to get them back on . by myself and my 70 year old brain doesn't seem to help me. never had problems before. anyone dealt with these very heavy foamed filled tires and may have a trick or two they used. Frustrated but determined. thanks norm
I lay a crowbar down with the tip under the axle. Then I roll the tire on the crowbar. Now I can lift the tire with the crowbar several inches and position it on the studs.
I use a trick much like franklinute, but with two crowbars. lean the wheel against the hub, trying to line up the holes with the studs as best you can. Then place the crowbars on either side of the tire, tight against the rubber, and lift up. The tire will usually slip into place, or you can walk the tire around a bit with the two of them.
If you have it up on jackstands, what I do is layer a couple boards together under the axle so that when I roll the tire up onto the wood, the lug holes are the same level as the lugnuts. It might take a little jogging of the tire to get the lugnuts to line up, but at least you won't have to do a lot of lifting. Foam filled or not, skid loader tires can be pretty heavy, even for younger guys. The crowbar trick seems like a good one too.
Finally got the tires on. Worked for about 1/2 hour in my barn trying to get the tire on. 85 degrees hot and sweaty. Having heck of a time. Decided to sit back for a moment and have a pall mall and a large drink of bottled water. All of a sudden I heard these voices. Left side of my brain was telling the right side if you put the tire on right its easy. Left side told right side he was putting it on backwards. Who ever heard of such a thing. hour later there all on and torqued. Left side is in control now. By the way if you have a tire that is full of that stuff and you want to replace it with a new tire and tube do you have to cut the old tire off since theres no way to deflate it. Apparently I have two with tubes and two that are foam filled. I put one foam filled on each side. One in front and the other in back. Don't know if that's correct or not. Thanks for your comments.
thats how i do it... :drinkup
I think I'd have put both filled tires in the back. I had a rude awakening one time when I jumped into a skid loader that had new tires. The old ones had been foam filled, and the new ones weren't. I took a nice big bucketful and raised it up to put in the truck, and darn near landed on my face. That extra weight in the tires adds a lot of counterweight, and that's more useful in the back.