Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1845c battery swop

lost in france ยท 2013-11-21 11:34

A long time ago I had a problem with a flat battery on my machine it had to be taken out as it was away from home,I managed to get it out after almost tipping the battery upside down I have since fitted an optima as they are a little smaller and easier to handle,the question is what is the correct or easiest way to take the battery out !!!! (I had to lift the arms up as it wouldn't jump start,but that's another story!!) :Banghead

Replies6
  1. #1alrman2013-11-21 15:32

    It's been a very long time since I have had this privilege. I can't recall exactly but I think the 'correct' way to change the battery involves sliding the cabin forward....... & yes that involves raising the loader frame. Those 12v starter/jumper packs are very useful to get things going again, especially if you can't get another vehicle close enough to jump start from.

  2. #2lost in france2013-11-22 01:29

    Thanks for that,Ive now fitted some Anderson connectors to hopefully help with any starting problems in the future. Ive never moved the cab is this another straight forward job?

  3. #3alrman2013-11-22 16:01

    Re sliding the cabin on 1845C, take a look here - HeavyEquipmentForums :drinkup

  4. #4lost in france2013-11-24 01:20

    Thanks will do

  5. #5kshansen2013-11-24 13:07

    If the cab has not been moved recently you probably won't get it to roll forward by hand but with a little help from a cable jack it should move okay. Once forward access to most everything is very easy. If you have not checked the drive chains now would be a good time. Do not be alarmed by the milky gunk you will find. I've never opened one that didn't look like that, just water in the oil. Not saying it's a good thing but it is more or less normal. Flush with fuel oil and add new oil. Or like some one suggested on that other link if you are changing the hydraulic oil use some of that. Some book, like mine say 5 quarts and others say 10 quarts. Not sure if it is all that important as long as there is enough to cover the bottom part of the drive chains. I figure no matter bad the inside of the chain boxes are those chains have it easy compared to the chain on my motorcycles.

  6. #6Jbullfrog2013-11-28 23:02

    You can get a regular battery in and out by removing the cover on the outside of the cage. You will have to have a big buddy hold the cage in slightly with a bar, but it will slip though the space. This method is about an hour quicker than moving the cab ahead.