I just got done repairing a bearing on my 1845c and I tightened up all of the chains while I was in there to 1/8" deflection with moderate pressure per the case manual. Been running it fine, just wanted your guys input, this seems awful tight, is this what you guys adjust them to? Hate to have to pull the covers again since they are siliconed up real nice. lol
that seem's tight to me also it's been about 16 years since I had one. You do know that there is supposed to be a grease fitting on the axle housing to lube the bearings .
Not sure where you got that spec from. That is too tight. Tension should be as follows: "Check the top strand of each front chain (at the middle between each sprocket) Push down and pull up using approximately 2.3 kg (5 pounds) force. The total deflection must be 13-25 mm (0.5-1 inch)." The chains are a weak point on those machines. Proper tension is important.
I say the time and effort to adjust them right will more than offset the cost of a new tube of silicon. Wheel hubs and the idler shaft both have grease fittngs.
Section 6007 of the service manual "1/8 to 1" checked at the rear of the front case opening, or the front of the rear cased opening".
Sounds like you have a older spec from the service manual. The 0.5-1 inch is the last spec that case released. I would only tighten the chains to 1/8" if I was installing new chains.
Jeez just what I wanna do.... tear it all apart to readjust.
Since you cant measure at the middle between each sprocket, maybe 1/8" at the case opening would be equal to about 1/2" in the middle?
Personally I would just leave it. You will probably be back in there some time for a broken chain anyways. As long as there is some slack, you will probably be ok. As you mentioned, you measured at the case opening, so the middle of the chain will have higher slack.
If there was a way to convert to 100H secondary and 80H primary on that dude, I bet the chain problems would be gone forever.
make sure to check that your parking brake cables are good and snug when your lap bars are down or they will slip out and break your chains