Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1845C drive chain?

ironage ยท 2013-06-17 11:39

Hi all. I finally found myself an 1845C skid steer. Its a 1998 with just over 7000 hrs, that came from a paving company that had 5 of these machines which they traded off for 5 new Cases. The machine seems to be in really nice shape, with everything taking grease and it had been greased lots, even the drive shaft from the engine to the hydro and the cross shaft under the seat were greased regularly. I went over the entire machine and only thing I found that needed some attention was the battery was low on water and a little corrosion on the cables and the drive chains will need adjusting but im not sure which adjustment to use. I have two books, both covering my serial number but with different specs. One book says 3/8 to 1/2 inch deflection at 5lbs and the other says 1/2 to 1 inch deflection at 5lbs. I started adjusting the chains and one adjustment seems tight and the other seems loose. Also I changed the oil in the chain cases as one cover wasn't sealing to good and the oil was getting a little milky. When I added the recomended amount of oil it didn't seem to be full enough to touch the chains so I added another 2 liters to each side, was there an update to the capacity somewhere along the line? Ill try get a couple pics of the machine one of these days and post them. Thanks.

Replies2
  1. #1kshansen2013-06-17 12:41

    Just to add to your confusion I looked in my service manual and the spec's it shows for the chains it 1/8 to 1 inch! Then again my book is dated 1986. My feelings would be as long as you have a little play you should be fine. Same thing for the oil amount. My servic manual calls for 5 quarts in each side. If adding a couple more makes you feel better go for it. I've actually found some that someone felt the chain box should be over half full! Compared to the chains on motor cycles these chains have it made even with the milky oil you drained out. Treat that 1845C with even a little care and it should last many years with no major problems. Ours has be mistreated to no end since 1989 and it comes back for more. If only I could have convinced people it needed to be greasedback in 1989 it would be even better. Not sure how much they changed over the yras but I have a complete set of books if you need any info just ask.

  2. #2ironage2013-06-17 22:14

    Hi kshansen. Thanks for the reply. From the looks of things even case couldn't make up there mind on those chains. I think ill split the difference and set them at 1/2 inch as that seems to be a good mid point to all the different specs. I didn't think adding more oil to the chain cases would hurt anything. Im planning on running it for a little while then changing the oil in them again just to flush them out a little, with that little oil required its cheap insurance and them I know where I am at least for the next change. Most guys I have talked to regarding the 1845Cs say they set the standard for skid steers in there day and are still held in high regards that's why I held out to find one rather than settle for one of the many others out there. Compared to the life it had before I got it this machine will think its on holidays for the rest of its life with the light odd jobs around the farm it will be used for now lol.