Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1845C fuel solenoid removal

Dragfluid ยท 2023-10-05 17:10

Hi folks. Nice forum. Look like a lot of good info here. I have a 1991 1845C NON turbo, so the engine is a 4-390. I need to remove the fuel shutoff solenoid. Access is limited. (why the hell was this thing designed like this??) Not a lot of room between the solenoid and the block. I noticed one of the other injection pumps has it right on top. Looking at the solenoid, it's obvious that it takes a special socket, similar to some oil pressure sensors on some automotive applications. (I'm a retired auto mechanic of 48 years) Is anyone aware of the source for this or have you managed some other way? Any and all input appreciated!

Replies8
  1. #1thepumpguysc2023-10-05 20:40

    15/16 box end wrench.. Might hafta grind the box end down a smidge..

  2. #2Dragfluid2023-10-06 00:01

    OK, I'll go and buy a cheaper wrench and configure it to fit. Thanks!

  3. #3Dragfluid2023-10-06 15:55

    Looked around in the tool boxes a little first and found a Globemaster 15/16" combination. Had that since I was a teen when the folks had a grocery store and we had a pegboard that had some tools with that brand. Ground the box end down with a few trips between loader and grinder. Got it to fit just enough to turn the sol enough to break it loose and then get another bite and turn a little more, then was able to force my big meat hook in there to turn by hand. Pro Tip: Get that damn harness out of the way! It goes to the solenoid, temp sensor, and hydraulic filter block.

  4. #41693TA2023-10-06 15:58

    I have several wrenches I have thinned down in the Box end area to get the 12-point retention Fasteners on U-joint straps loose from the drive yolks.

  5. #5stefuel2023-10-06 19:58

    OK so he likes fixing old electronics as well. I see a variable DC power supply in the background. Is there a old oscilloscope next to it?

  6. #6Dragfluid2023-10-08 14:23

    Yes sir.

  7. #7Dragfluid2023-10-08 14:48

    Not out in the shop today (Sunday's are "wife days") but I had this on my phone that should help a little. In upper left.

  8. #8Dragfluid2023-10-11 08:17

    I shot a better pic for you, showing a bunch of my crap.