Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1845C roof insulation

thendrix · 2023-04-04 18:40

Any body know where to get a new insulation piece for the cab roof of an 1845C? Or is there something that somebody has used that works as good or better? Mine has torn around the bolts and somebody put bigger fender washers on it and now it's torn that far and falling down.

Replies12
  1. #1KSSS2023-04-04 18:56

    There is insulation that is/was used in IH tractors ( 66, 86 and 88 series) that can glued to the roof. I think something like that would work great. There are companies that sell cab kits for those old tractors, might try that.

  2. #2thendrix2023-04-04 19:44

    I've seen the cab kits that are thin plastic but didn't see anything about insulation. I'll look again. Just had a few minutes to look earlier

  3. #3bad Tom2023-04-04 21:54

    I was thinking that A&I had sheets of one inch vinyl that you cut to fit and glue on.

  4. #4willie592023-04-04 22:23

    Perforated foam cab insulation, glue it in. There's a number of suppliers for it, here's just one from an internet search. > https://www.tractorinteriors.com/bulk-cab-foam-1-inch/

  5. #5thendrix2023-04-04 22:38

    I found some 1" x 54" wide sound insulation at McMaster-Carr that's $11.60/ft. I figure 2 ft would fit across the roof and the 54" should be enough to go from front to back. Am I correct in assuming this is sound deadening insulation and not thermal? At that price I'm probably $25 to $30 into a piece that's probably $150 from Case, if it's available.

  6. #6thendrix2023-04-04 22:40

    Just saw this. Thanks for the help everybody

  7. #7willie592023-04-04 22:44

    It's mainly an acoustic foam insulation, but it does offer some thermal insulation properties, better than bare sheet steel.

  8. #81693TA2023-04-05 08:08

    I have the original in mine and have operated the tractor with, and without it in place. No enclosed cab so noise abatement is nada, but in the summer it sure helps keep the heat from radiating down into your head and shoulders.

  9. #9KSSS2023-04-05 11:06

    Thats what I was referencing.

  10. #10stefuel2023-04-05 20:21

    I have a 1840. Same cab I'm sure. My cab is enclosed. Not sure of the thermal properties but I had mine out to gain access to the rear wiring. Way louder inside with it out. Just me, but if I were you, I'd get some type of hard board, use the old one for a template for the shape and hole location. Cut to fit. Glue your insulation board to that and it will be removable just like the original. You could even get fancy and cover it with the material of choice. Mine is sagging a bit and that might be the route I take. I'll be replacing the seat soon. When that happens, I'm installing some sound deadening material to the cab in the attempt to block out some of the engine noise. Next time the cab is rolled forward, I'm adding sound proofing to the engine side of the cab as well. Probably my biggest complaint with these 1800 Case's is the engine noise inside the cab

  11. #11willie592023-04-05 20:52

    Closed cell foam foil faced is best for engine compartment. Being closed cell foam it resists soaking up water and oils, the foil face protects the foam from oils and also provides a radiant barrier. > https://www.amazon.com/MOTUKA-Refle...il+insulation+roll&qid=1680742114&sr=8-6&th=1

  12. #12Venbon1s2025-02-13 05:15

    I had a similar issue with the insulation in my old machine, and I know how frustrating it can be when it starts to fall apart. What worked for me was using a high-density foam insulation material that I picked up at a local hardware store. It was easy to cut to size, and I used adhesive to secure it, making sure to avoid the bolt areas where it could tear again. If you're looking for something more durable, you might also want to check out crawl space encapsulation materials—some of them are designed to hold up under pressure and are resistant to tearing. It’s a bit overkill, but it could be a solid fix.