Need to replace serpentine belt on an 1845c. The hydraulic pump has to come off to install belt. Low and behold pump won't come off. Pull radiator to find pump coupler is pulling apart and seized to pump shaft. Any tips for cutting the coupler without destroying the pump shaft? You can't pull the pump with coupler together, the mount hole for the pump isn't big enough. I'll get a better picture later when I get to work.
Drop the big belly pan, block up the engine, and pull the pump with the mount plate.
I thought about that, but was hoping there was another way. I guess I'll get after it. A lot of damn work to change a serpentine belt.
I was thinking some day trading my case 1830 for a 1845 ??
Where's that guy promoting that new penetrating oil?
Eh, it went easier than I thought. Got the air hammer and flat chisel, zapped the coupler next to shaft and it buzzed right out. Quick run to Case for a 13 spline coupler, power wash the radiator while it was out and slap it back together.
Serpentine belt used for future reference
Put some antisieze on that pump shaft
I did.
Hand looks to clean...... I'll see myself out now.....
So, I smashed my right hand pretty good Saturday night doing something dumb. To keep the wound clean, I've been wearing latex gloves (we have cases of them on the dairy farm). I put on the anti seize, then stopped and through my well coated gloves in the trash, and grabbed another pair. I sweat like crazy in them, but it's better than scrubbing grease out of a fresh wound. Hopefully in a week or so, this'll be healed up enough to do business as usual. We'll see. I've noticed I don't heal as fast as I used to.
Welcome to us Older guys world!!
The 1845c is a night and day difference from your 1830. The machine I worked on here has 9700 hours on it. We've never touched the engine, it has had a drive motor and wheel bearings done, not much else. Our machines get abused daily and handle it very well. We've been running these skid steers since 1990 and have actively sought out good, used low hour units across the Midwest, but that supply is starting to run thin. That said, we regularly run them up to 10,000 hours with minimal issues.
I'm glad to see you had a fairly easy time with the belt. Mine will be due a belt before long and I've been dreading it. I'll definitely try a air hammer first
Hey Vetech63, I am still around, not promoting anything, Hope you and yours are doing well.
I have a noise coming from something in the rear. Sounds like a alternator bearing or idler. So I'll be pulling the radiator to try and find the source of the noise. So what ever that is plus replace the belt. Is there enough play in the hydraulic lines to move the pump enough to change the belt?
As long as your pump coupler isn't seized, then yes, the pump can slide back enough to allow the belt to slip through the opening with hoses attached.
FWI which isn't much. Case recommends coating the pump splines with Molykote, Type G in most of their service manuals
I forgot about this. The fingernail is still growing out from when it got smashed, 3 months ago. I was barring this engine over and my pry bar slipped, cramming my hand into a bracket to the right of the engine.
One forgets till one doesn't..... OUCH!!!
Based on my experience, it takes the better part of a year to grow out a complete new fingernail
I quickly found the noise. Fan support bearing is shot. everything else spins quiet. So I'll order one of those and a new belt. My pump was a little stubborn coming off but not to bad. Everything will get cleaned and put back together with never seize. TY
As far as the smashed finger, they always feel so much better when stop hurting
Years ago I learned that making a hole into a freshly smashed fingernail to release the blood under it gives a huge amount of pain relief. It has to be done right away before the blood starts to harden. The best thing to use is a battery powered cauterizing pen. I bought mine at a Bass Pro Shop. They sell them to fly tiers. This one is sold by Walmart online.
Ised a sewing needle a few times, heated on stove held with needle nose pliers. At work, small metal screw in vice grips and gas axe work wonders
I smashed my finger bad and the Dr. pulled the nail off. Finger has some broken bone fragments and when stitched up one side is a little crooked. New nail grew out no problem.
The belt will be here tomorrow and the fan support on Thursday. Everything is all cleaned up, ready to go back together
What we have done on 3.0 mercruiser motors where you have to pull the front mount to change the belt is put a second belt on at the same time and zip tie out of the way. Did the same trick on the old ford tractor we run at the shop.
It's a little late since you already have your bearing but when I replaced mine my local Napa had it in stock. Might save you or somebody else time later on
Is this NAPA belt (080590) a exact cross referenced number or a trial and error selection. The belt I flea bay'd that was listed for a Case 1840 is to long. I'll run to NAPA tomorrow and grab that one if it;s the exact fit.
It depends if you have the quiet package or not. One belt is like 2" longer than the other one. I just know our 1845s all use that part number.
Never heard of a "quiet package" it sure isn't mine. Not sure if the belt I was sent is 2 inches longer but way to long for my application. Couldn't read any numbers off the old one but the one I was sent says J 911559 which means nothing to me. The second number on your belt tells me how many ribs, pitch and length.
J911559 is the Case Part number for the belt. It is quite easy to find the details of it in a internet search. J911559 CASE IH Replacement Serpentine Poly V Belt Buy J911559 CASE IH Replacement Serpentine Poly V Belt Today! Huge Belt Sale. Fast Shipping. 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed! www.vbeltguys.com
the J911559 belt must be for the quiet package one. I measured it to 62-1/8" long and is way to long for mine. I measured my old one at 59-1/8". A full 3 inches shorter. Pretty sure the NAPA belt is correct for mine. They didn't have one in stock locally but will have it by 8:00AM tomorrow.
Best of luck to you. If I have time, I'll see if I can find our parts and service manual and see what the difference is. I know all 4 of our 1845c skid steers use the same belt though. Whether we have the shorter one or the longer one, I'm not sure which.
On the case website, belt #3911558 is for the U.S. and is 59" long and #3911589 is is for the European machines and is 62" long.
59 inch NAPA belt, LIKE A GLOVE.