I have a case 1845c with 1900 hours on it and have been having a few problems recently. The first problem was it would only start 50% of the time so i traced it down to being the starter solenoid so i put an aftermarket truck style solenoid on it. I used it twice and now when i turn the key it fires up in one turn over but then shuts right off. It will do this over and over again sometimes running 5 seconds sometimes 10. Did i start this problem by using the different solenoid? I searched and did not see any threads that had a solution. Please help i'm stumped!! Thanks
Welcome to HEF mikenofx2000. :drinkup Maybe it's the way I'm reading this, but I'm seeing two problems. 1) starter solenoid, meaning a starter/cranking problem? And 2) engine runs 5-10 seconds then's dies? Is that right?
A starter solenoid is almost always mounted on the starter motor and has a motor (plunger or slug) that engages the starter pinion into the flywheel ring gear. A starter relay (contactor) is usually, but not always, built into a solenoid to energize the motor coil and close the high amperage switch. So which did you replace, the solenoid or the relay? What it sounds like to me is that your fuel switch is only energized in the start mode.
Agree with this. First thing I'd be checking is if there was power to the fuel pump with the key on before even trying to crank it over. Then again after it starts and stalls. Just a wild thought here. Is it possible that there is a grounding problem that when engine is cranking the fuel pump solenoid finds a ground through the starter circuit and when key is turned back to run looses the ground? I know ground problems can cause strange things in some systems.
If it starts and runs for a second or two and then shuts down the problem is definitely the fuel pump solenoid. The fuel pump solenoid has a pull in winding and a hold in winding. The pull in winding in the solenoid is good. The hold in winding is open and will not hold the fuel pump open while running. Z
I'll try to remember this was not aware of that fuel pumps solenoids had both types of windings. More familiar with the old 1960 vintage Cummins style.
Did you ever get this fixed? I'm having the same exact issue. I've done many of the same things. I can't find a selonoid on mine.
We have an old one and it won't keep running. We can't find a selonoid.