When I got my Backhoe, on the rear, it had one Goodyear thats newer then the Firestone that appears to be OE. Over the winter I ended up getting tire chains for snow removal and the body mount is noticeably closer 1/2" to the chains on the worn Firestone vs the Goodyear. What experience do people have with various tires makes? I'm thinking if I replace tires I may want to try to keep it on the smaller size for clearance.
There can be differences for the same size but from different manufacturers. Maybe machine clearance isn't the same on each side or one tire has less air pressure. For new tires I'd get what the best deal was and not worry about it too much.
If your considering buying new tires try going with a slightly narrower size like a 17.5l-24. The only problem you face is depending on the size tire you may be limited on tread patter opinions. The first number is the width and the second number would be the rim size. I hope this helps some
Depends on the rim width if they will work with a narrower tire.
Get the tires of your choice like Dave said. If you need more clearance for the chains there are machine shops that can make spacers for the axles. Just depends on how much money you want to spend. I would never go to a narrower tire. You will regret it the first time you need to work in wet conditions.
I'm not sure if rims are adjustable on TLB's or not. On Ag tractors there are a lot of adjustments for width.
I rechecked and have my brands reversed,I'm sure the Goodyear is wider due to the way the chains fit on the tire, but same result. I know manufacturer variations can make a difference across the same size. I guess that is what my main question is are any brands know to be wider or narrower. I looked it over pretty close today, it sure looks like every thing chassis wise is symmetrical. I want to stay with the 19.5l-24 as I don't want to risk problems as it 4x4 and a 17.5l is to much of a change. Also I don't have much extra stud length for spacers, wheels are not adjustable, and I checked the tire pressure.
You might also want to check that the axle hasn't shifted on the frame, I seen this happen on older machines when bolts break holding the frame to the axle. Simply measure the rim to frame spacing.
You might mention the make and model of the machine so we know what you are working with.
Custom made studs are the norm when adding spacers.
The machine is a 2004 Volvo BL60.
Some times depending on the machine the rims can be reversed for more clearance.
That's what I was wondering or if the hubs are bolted to the rims you can bolt the hubs on the other side of the mounts.
I've read up on the subject enough I was pretty sure tires or custom spacers are the best options. The wheels are 1 piece pretty centered offset possibly already negative offset I'll have to take a measurement.
Spacers may be the best option if you want the valve stems on the outside but I'd still check the rim offset on each side. Even if you had to drive in mud that looks pretty close. I tried moving the wheels on my tractor closer so it would fit on my trailer easier but they got packed with mud and started wearing away the side of the tire. You could smell rubber burning when it dried. I moved them back out before too much damage was done. It basically took the writing off the side of the tires. For a backhoe you'd think they'd have at least a couple inches clearance. A Volvo dealer may have or know where to get spacers for your machine. Below are for a skid steer but same idea. https://www.skidsteersolutions.com/skid-steer-wheel-spacer-1-5-x-9-16-stud/
I would think any shop that does water jet cutting could make a pair. All you would need is an accurate pattern from one of your rims.