Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1938 Film on wheat harvest

Truck Shop ยท 2018-02-10 18:58
Replies9
  1. #1Labparamour2018-02-10 19:35

    Very cool! Makes you appreciate what they put up with and how relatively easy we have it today. We're they harvesting in the Palouse? Darryl

  2. #2Truck Shop2018-02-10 20:40

    Yes I suppose it was filmed in Palouse country and it was filmed by WSU. Truck Shop

  3. #3Truck Shop2018-02-10 20:46

    Here is a better representation of a full mule hitch and combine of that era that is in the museum at Fort Walla Walla. Truck Shop

  4. #4Birken Vogt2018-02-10 21:37

    My grandpa sewed the sacks on one of those around Turlock in the Depression. I am a bit confused about the lack of dust. I guess wheat is not as dusty as oats or whatever. He said it was dusty.

  5. #5DIYDAVE2018-02-11 22:04

    looks like congress... Here's what I usedta ride on, tyin the sacks, and absorbing the wheat smut... Not 'zactly the same, ours was powered by the tractor, not the aux motor...

  6. #6RZucker2018-02-12 00:59

    The last combine in this film (behind the crawler) looks to be a John Deere model 36. I recognize the leveling rack on the left hand side. I spent one summer in 1977 hauling grain off of a pair of them... with a 1948 Ford F-6 that showed 21,000 miles on the odometer. Girlfriends Dad had a couple of modern combines too... JD 95 hillside models. The old 36s were some cantankerous old beasts with spike tooth cylinders. They had some old dinosaur Hercules engine that had to be hand cranked to start. The first start of the season was done with a flat belt from an old Oliver 77 with a belt pulley, That got them fired off in a hurry.

  7. #7Truck Shop2018-02-12 07:40

    Never worked around a combine much or on one. But I did ride the sled behind a baler. Truck Shop

  8. #8RZucker2018-02-12 21:01

    Thankfully most of my hay stacking experience was running a New Holland 1068 bale wagon but I have top loaded my share of hay trucks and done the elevator into the barn thing too. No wonder my body is falling apart.

  9. #9DMiller2018-04-08 15:07

    Spent two summers in Mid Mo humping bales onto then restacking on wagons with square bales. At 14 and under 110# was a struggle from the get go. Earned $.03/bale those days a WHOPPING profit for a kid with no idea on how money was made. Hated working lofts and running for the next bales off the elevator. I can relate to the falling apart issue. When I joined the service I was 6'2", 132# and forced onto a double rations campaign to get my weight up. Still only 10 minutes chow time for TWO trays in Basic, learned to inhale as I could to get out of the hall.