Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1949 Young Iron Works Catalog

Rusty Grapple ยท 2012-04-21 13:46

I spent a few hours scanning this catalog because I think it's a great representation of where the timber-industry was in the 40's and 50's in terms of tools and rigging for cable yarding and loading machinery. There were many outfits making tools such as these (ESCO, Skookum, Mallory to name just a few) in this time period, and I thought you would all enjoy the history and the published prices. You can find it at http://upload.pbase.com/rustygrapple/gallery/1949_young_catalog or in the 'New Galleries' section of my website. The offerings include all manner of blocks, shackles, hooks, donkey-sled materials, even springboard plates and falling wedges. This was pre- grapples or power saws and demonstrates how far the industry advanced from 1950 to 1965- The long-term goal for the website is to offer a 'one-stop-shop' for logging and forest-industry history, whether it be from 1899 or 1999. Though time-consuming to upload and expensive to host, I believe items such as this catalog are crucial to keeping the memory alive.

Replies2
  1. #1OldandWorn2012-04-21 17:15

    Very interesting, thanks for posting that up. Seeing the weights and sheave sizes really gives a layperson an idea at how much work it must have been just setting up. I especially liked the rigging diagrams and didn't realize how complex they needed to be at times.

  2. #2Vigilant2012-04-21 21:33

    GREAT shot of that vintage Northwest shovel, from long before the days of the heel boom. An ancient Model 6, perhaps? I wonder if they were running Murphy engines in Northwests, even back then.... Thanks a bunch, CL... er... RG