Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1953 Dorsey drop deck beavertail

1953Dorsey ยท 2014-03-25 20:01

Bought a 1953 Dorsey drop deck beavertail. I am looking for information regarding how much it can haul, the maintenance, part numbers... etc. I can't find anything on it. Please help.

Replies13
  1. #1td25c2014-03-25 20:32

    That's cool . You don't see many trailers that age around any more . Single or tandem axil ? Most trailers of that era used grease packed wheel bearings unless it was converted over to oil bath . If you don't have any maintenance history on it might be a good idea to pull wheels & repack bearings & service brakes if need be . We still use a 1951 25 ton Lacrosse lowboy . A picture of your trailer might help with questions .

  2. #2cphillips2014-03-26 19:02

    If you post some pictures of various parts, hubs, wheel cylinders, etc. I might be able to help. I have been restoring a 1948 Rogers 40ton lowboy for the past few months and have learned a lot about buying parts and retrofitting. Cole

  3. #3mitch5042014-03-26 19:57

    Yeah, post some pics, and the tire size and number of tires.

  4. #41953Dorsey2014-03-26 22:47

    I will post some pictures when I get a chance to take some. I know it is a model K15.

  5. #51953Dorsey2014-03-28 01:57

    Trying to post pictures...

  6. #6Deere500a2014-03-28 09:06

    What are the tires rated for? Just a guess but maybe it's a 15 ton class trailer.

  7. #7mitch5042014-03-28 11:41

    Yep, most single axle lowboys I've messed with have been 15 ton. That k15 seems to back that up.

  8. #8Tiny2014-03-28 14:55

    ...

  9. #9excavator2014-03-28 15:30

    Thanks for fixing the pics Tiny. I kept falling asleep when I laid down to look at them.

  10. #10Tiny2014-03-28 15:38

    I have a couple of picture programs close so it's pretty quick and painless

  11. #111953Dorsey2014-03-30 12:18

    Sorry. New to this forum thing. Those look a lot better. Not sure what it's rated for

  12. #12cphillips2014-04-01 18:14

    I'd agree and says its in the 15-20 ton range. Does it have oil bath or greasable wheel bearings?

  13. #13old-iron-habit2014-04-01 20:17

    I like the look of them old trailers. Look forward to seeing it complete. What's the tracked monster setting on it?