I have a question for you experts on here. Today I had a guy send me a few pics of this old KW. It's part of an estate that the siblings are trying to settle. I asked the guy what engine it had (no pic) and his reply was "a big diesel". Assuming it's the original engine, what diesel engines would have been available for this truck??
More than likely a 220 Cummins. I did see one (think it was a '53 also) with a 6-71 inline Detroit.
Thanks RZucker. I may have to go take a look at it. I'm afraid if I do that it might follow me home!!
Your choices in 1953 were 188 hp Waukashaw gas, 200 hp Cummins, 150 hp 672 Cummins and there was the possibility of a 200 hp Le Roi.
Hall - Scott an option?
Anything in those days could be an option. Back then you could pretty much have it built to order. Unlike now days {this is what we build and this what you get}.
I recall that the Seattle FD had a few early 50's KW's with the 1091 Hall-Scott engines.
Building trucks in the past. lol
The Relay truck was a monster in it's day, the side by side engines were a lot like the Euclid off road haulers with twin 6-110 power.
I know of a Bellevue fire engine that had a Hall Scott. It was famous for shutting down in the apparatus bay and, just as you where walking into the crew quarters, would let off a huge backfire! City repowered a lot of them w 6-71’s.
I’ve always wanted something Hall Scott powered. Maybe 10-12 years ago I was seeing them for sale in Wheels of Time fairly often. Haven’t seen much for a long time but then again I don’t look as often as I once did.