Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1954 ford backhoe hydraulic lines no room

Fast eddie ยท 2012-10-03 14:00

Hi i have a 1954 ford backhoe with two rows of hydraulic lines that need changed and i have no room to get a wrench in between the lines to remove one of them. Do the make a tool to fit like a skinny wrench or somthing. I only have a 1/4" on eather side of 1 1/4" fitting. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Ed

Replies4
  1. #1CaseGirl2012-10-03 18:22

    Get yourself a set of 1/2'' drive crowfoot wrenches, they'll save you alot of frustration. I bought my set at a place I have around here. online will prolly be your best bet.. It took me forever to find a set

  2. #2sheepfoot2012-10-03 18:24

    They make a crow foot wrench, that uses a 3/8, 1/2, 3/4 drive to turn them, you can look at snapon/ mac /matco on line and see them in their tool catalog. You can also make your own with a cheap wrench and a hacksaw and welder in a pinch. Their are several that work better than others also. Most case dealers had them in the parts dept. 1 1/16, 1 1/8, 1 1/4, 1 1/2 if you have one close by.

  3. #3Tinkerer2012-10-05 06:17

    I have the complete set of the Case crowfoot wrenches (item #2 in picture). They are awful expensive but there are applications where this style of crow foot is the only way to get a fitting loose in a timely manner.

  4. #4Komatsu 1502012-10-05 09:01

    Just to add in an application like this, a large size that's probably been on there for years and very tight, a cheap crows foot is going to be useless. It will just spread open. A good wrench will be very expensive. I have made one like no. 2 above by cutting up an impact socket and welding an extension to the side of it.