Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1955 hd 09 transmission problem

56hd11b · 2019-01-15 02:32

Hello Friends, I have a 1955 Allis Chalmers HD 09b S/N#2412 direct transmission, I was using it the other day & started to hear a vibration that slowly got louder & I saw white froth coming out the top seal, time to replace that seal, so otherwise it got water in it & yes it does have a covered R.O.P.s on it the last mechanic or me obviosly didnt check the transmission oil, I dont use it much , no excuses though. The bevel pinon front bearing has one ball that is chewed , i need to change this bearing or all, Looks really complicated even with the proper manuels I have . Has anybody done this recently ? can I get all the bearing ? Original book calls for 50W oil , is this what I should be using ? I will try to upload a pic of it tomorrow, Thanks

Replies10
  1. #1LarryH2019-01-16 19:12

    I have worked on a number of those transmissions but it has been 30 years or more since then. Not sure about parts availability any more. Standard ball or roller bearings shouldn't be hard to source. Gears and other parts probably have to go looking for used stuff. They used needle bearings inside all the rotating gears that tend to vibrate and wear grooves inside the gear bores. I used to get parts from Fiat-Allis after Allis Chalmers sold the crawler division. The later HD11's used the same transmission but with bronze bushings in place of the needle bearings. I used to put the bushings in the HD9's when working on them and was able to reuse the gears. They worked good and saved a lot of money. We always ran 90 wt gear oil in them and seemed to work OK. Maybe a lighter oil would work better though. the HD11's used ATF in them if I recall. They arent too bad to work on if you take your time and have a manual to follow. Pay particular attention to get the shift interlock balls and springs installed correctly.

  2. #256hd11b2019-01-18 01:35

    Thanks, for the tips Larry, The pinion gear front bearing is ordered from washington, the other bearing outer from california & from a different source the inner to match a totally different spot. A day on the phone , 3 shipping bills , yes getting very tough to find & probably a week wait.

  3. #3LarryH2019-01-18 03:04

    How is your needle bearings and gear bores? Don't know if you can still get those bushings but wouldn't be too hard to make if needed. I still have most of a transmission, in pieces, but I think it is probably too rusted from sitting outside. Good luck. I'd like to know how it goes.

  4. #456hd11b2019-01-19 00:25

    The transmission was smooth before the one bearing sat in water, inside It looks like new & all other bearing appear clean & good so I ordered the front pinion gear double bearing & new seals. I left the shaft just sitting in there so I dont have to play with anything & put in the new bearing & slide it ahead. My book doesnt explain gear shift pattern clearly, the high low shifter is obvious, it has no efect in reverse. I could never find the middle gears & I see why now the shifter is so worn going to need new bushings & pin. , I am guessing as the book says 6 speed transmission that it has 3 forward & 3 in reverse making it a 6 speed, correct ? The shift lock lever is missing to the 6speed shifter, came with a block of wood in the hole( nice) I am guessing I should try to find one or shiffting will be difficult ? How does that work ? LarryH do you have a shifting lock lever & boot ? Thanks, Shane

  5. #5LarryH2019-01-21 13:46

    Do you have the factory service manual or perhaps a diagram. Not sure exactly what you are referring to as a shift lock lever. Some pictures would be great. I checked my parts and they are pretty rusted but almost all there. They could be used in a pinch however. Are you referring to the shift rod? Have checked for Fiat-Allis parts?

  6. #6Neily2019-01-22 01:51

    The 6 speed trans is 3 hi 3 low. What part of the gear pattern are you unsure about? It’s just 123 as you move the stick across. High and low works both forward and reverse, there isn’t a lot of difference between the two. If you’re pushing dirt your only ever gonna be working in low range, the only time I use high is when walking.

  7. #756hd11b2019-01-22 02:02

    I was figuring out how to send pics, Here is my parts transmission out of my hd 11, it is just about identical besides shift rod forks , it has a steel spacer between main shifter(lower lever) housing. The shifting lock rod with plunger as seen is too short for my transmission as it has no spacer , wider housing & is a longer rod I need. I will take some other pics in the daylight

  8. #856hd11b2019-01-22 02:15

    Thanks Neily, in reverse the hi low lever does not change the speed of my transmission, maybe something is off or not an option for this year ?

  9. #9Neily2019-01-22 10:23

    I think you will find it’s different, the difference between hi and low is very little. I can’t really see how it’s possible not to be different.

  10. #1056hd11b2019-01-22 23:39

    Larry, here is a close example of the shift rod I need, the one in the pic is too short as my shifter case is 5" & this other one with the rod is 4" wide, Fiat allis dealer have any parts, I would think they laugh if I asked & say obsolete, LOL Do you have a rod you want to part with ? I am guessing this must be to hold it from kicking out of gear, I am looking for a f7 carco winch service or repair manual if anyone has to sell. Thanks, Shane