Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1958 Autocar

HTRN ยท 2017-12-05 19:34

So, the owner of my company *semi retired, his son runs the day to day* is an old truck junky and today about lunch time I get a call to fire up a reach-fork, grab a long chain and meet one of our truck drivers out by our wash bay to haul something off his beaver-tail trailer. Low an behold its a 58 Autocar with a Cummins 275 Ironlung. The best part was the fact that although the rig doesn't move on its own, it will fire up and run after sitting for 14yrs! * I'll get some pics and post as soon as i figure out how to get them from my phone to a PC*

Replies11
  1. #1Truck Shop2017-12-06 07:33

    Come on I want see that A-CCCAAAARRRRR. Is it a DC-102 model? This is the only A-Car I have seen in that area that was for sale. Truck Shop

  2. #2Truck Shop2017-12-06 07:41

    I was looking at buying this one but the rust rat's had eaten the cab up real bad and it had some bad frame issues. Truck Shop

  3. #3HTRN2017-12-06 18:50

    Wow both those are in way better shape than this old gal..... and here's an old Pete w/ a 12 cylinder 2 stroke he's in the process of restoring .....

  4. #4Truck Shop2017-12-06 20:38

    Yah that's a DC-102, hard to find one of those. That red and white 4964 is a 1965, quad headlights were rare in those years. The one above it is in Bend and it's a 64 or 65 it was owned by DeAttley Bros-I believe that's how their name is spelled. Both are 335 with 5X4. That 102 is pretty cool-I have a weakness for A-Cars and Diamond T's. Glad to see he is keeping the salt water chevy in that Pete. That's a nice project also.---------Thanks for posting the pics. Truck Shop

  5. #5RZucker2017-12-06 21:48

    Did somebody say 12V71 and Peterbilt in the same sentence???

  6. #6DMiller2017-12-07 07:12

    Like you Truckshop I have a weakness and a longing (lack of cash) to the old A-cars and Diamonds. One of these days I will find what I want, I just keep telling myself that.

  7. #7RZucker2017-12-07 21:36

    Awhile back there was a big Autocar with flat fenders and an exposed radiator locally for around $2,5- 3K... and I passed it up. I think it was a '74 with a 350 Cummins and a 10X4 trans. Imagine that one with a 12V71.

  8. #8oldrusty2017-12-09 19:55

    i used to have a dc-102 with a NH 262 cummins a 4x4 transmission. no pyrometer so it had a stack mirror to watch the flame come out of the exhaust so you didn't melt the engine. great old truck"i miss it"

  9. #9oldrusty2017-12-09 20:01

    forgot to mention the B61T Mack with a 237 thermodyne engine and brownlite tranny.

  10. #10petepilot2018-07-27 00:02

    any up dates on any of these the 58 autocar or the pete with the (saltwater chevy ) ?

  11. #11RZucker2018-07-27 16:20

    I remember seeing Mitchell Bros trucks in the early 70's. Mostly KW K 100 Cabovers with a truck and trailer flatbed setup. Read somewhere they had their own shortwave radio network to communicate with the drivers.