Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1961 Caterpillar D6B

Hdonly ยท 2025-05-26 18:28

I have been searching for a bendix drive for my D6B direct start starter. Not having much luck and was hoping someone here could steer me in the right direction.

Replies16
  1. #1chidog2025-05-26 19:22

    So you just need the gear? What does the ring gear look like? Look for an auto electric shop that does starters. Or do like the Pakistan folks do on youtube weld them up.

  2. #2Old Magnet2025-05-27 12:35

    Is the starter from an original direct start or is it a pony conversion? Original takes a straight tooth drive, a conversion uses LH Helix 11 tooth drive.

  3. #3hector gemme2025-05-27 16:35

    I have one bendix drive with 11 tooths

  4. #4Hdonly2025-05-28 06:26

    Yes, it is straight gear 11 tooth direct start as per my pictures.

  5. #5Hdonly2025-05-28 14:07

    You have one for sale? Is it new? Straight teeth?

  6. #6hector gemme2025-05-28 14:34

    The bendix drive is used and yes he has 11 straight teeth and for sale

  7. #7Old Magnet2025-05-28 16:07

    Those early starter drives had replaceable pinion #9M7658 and clutch assy #4M1857 They were replaced by a complete 8S8035 assembly. 6N3826 Drive A for Caterpillar 1P2657, 4M1857, 8S8035, 2Y8321, 6N-3826 | eBay Trying to locate that hard to find part, we may be able help! www.ebay.com

  8. #8Hdonly2025-05-28 17:20

    Thanks. I am looking for a new one. If I can't find a new one, I will get back with you.

  9. #9Hdonly2025-05-29 14:02

    I found what the call a new upgraded assembly for $138.00 + shipping at CatStarters.com. Hope it fits. I am always a little wary when ordering parts online. I will see! Thanks for all the replys from you all.

  10. #10Old Magnet2025-05-29 15:31

    You payed a lot for a unit that is probably made in China anyway. What are you going to do about the flywheel ring gear which is most likely looking as bad as the starter.

  11. #11Hdonly2025-05-29 15:34

    Well, why didn't you tell me where I could get it cheaper? Sorry, I missed the ebay link you posted. The flywheel only has one spot that two teeth are really bad. Looks like there are still enough of those teeth left that with a new bendix, it will pass over them.Only had trouble one time starting it. Fingers crossed.

  12. #12Old Magnet2025-05-29 16:10

    I did, click on the "Regal" ad I posted.

  13. #13Hdonly2025-05-29 16:33

    Yes, I edited my apology in the previous post for missing your link.

  14. #14epirbalex2025-05-29 17:12

    The motor probably stops in the same place each time , can you move the ring gear back a few teeth ?

  15. #15Hdonly2025-05-29 17:25

    It has never failed to start before. Only this one time. Yes I have bared the engine over through the starter hole. Looks pretty good the rest of the way around.

  16. #16epirbalex2025-05-29 17:49

    What I meant was to remove the ring gear and return it in a different spot so the starter engages different teeth . Depends on how the ring gear is fitted whether is easy enough to do .