Hello everyone... I have been slowly working on restoring this 1962 (I think) 2 story falcon. I know it has the Cummins inline 6, but I'm not sure which one. Any help would be much appriciated. Sure runs good, aside from a little oil leaking at the head gaskets. Has a turbo too.
Looks like an NH220
That's what I thought too. Is there a way I can confirm that? Also, what type of oil should I use in this? Any other maintenance items I should do other than oil/oil filter and fuel filter? Also, what type of pressure should I expect to see from the turbo. It does seem to be producing pressure, but just want to confirm. Lastly, what would the HP/Torq specs be wit the turbo? Thanks!
Is the ID plate missing on the timing gear housing?
I'm not seeing anything on what I believe is the timing gear housing... Here are some other angles... Hard to read, but I found this plate on the intake manifold.
Hard to say looking at a pic, but that first pic, where those drive rivets are, looks like the ID plate may still be there, start doing a little cleaning with steel wool and see if the ID plate reveals itself.
If it had a tag on the accessory drive housing {Which it has the rivets there where one was} it would have been a replacement engine. Cummins Started the data tag on accessory drives in late 1969 early 1970. Its more than likely just a NH series 220. But in 1962, 63- also produced the first 335's using the 743-220 block with 5 1/8" bore, so this truck might { I say might} have originally came with a 743-335, it was equipped with piston coolers. I haven't seen a 743-335 in years & years. * The best photo you can post would be of the rocker {valve covers} & a good photo of the head bolts----those two items will tell allot.
I'm no Cummins expert, but I used to drive a 1962 White 4000 that had a C-160 in it when my dad purchased it in 1976, can't say it was the original engine, but it had the ID tag on the timing gear housing. Engine went south, dad located a used C-180 that came out of a 60's OK Concrete truck, again, don't know what original year it was, but it had the ID tag as well. I could be wrong, but I think Cummins used the timing housing ID plate a little before 1969-70.
So happy to have found some folks who know something about this... thank you all... Here are some additional pictures..
Yes there could have been--Cummins was random in the 60's with nomenclature tags. The real issue was it wasn't till 1970 that the CPL number was combined. I'm setting here with two early 60's acce- ssory drive tags within reach. Trouble is not all were the same, Cummins stamped random worthless crud on the tags, like cam number and most boxes were left blank. * NH series no jakes-beyond that--because it's turbo charged my best idea is it's a 262 hp rated NH series. With Cummins, casting numbers don't mean much only a date reference, only stamped numbers amount to anything. All this old stuff---there isn't anyone to look up or knows anything about these old engines at Cummins. Go online to Barrington Diesel, and buy a membership, then download the NH series manuals. Use to cost $35 bucks probably more now. * Be very careful working on this engine, parts are getting extremely hard to come by and very expensive. The external fuel lines are extremely hard to get, vary rare to find good used. In the one photo of the early SS296 air compressor----Staring straight at it--the small intake manifold bolted to it with intake hose & clamp--Used is going for $200--a later version will fit from any small cam or big cam but you will run into the same issue-availability & price. The later number for it is 196282---Cummins wants $359.00, used $170. I only post this because there is nothing cheap about these old engines.
Yes, I figured parts were likely getting rare and expensive. This one seems to be in really good shape, but sat for a long time. I only use it once in a great while and only around the yard here at my property. I would really like to get it cleaned up and oil changed etc. It deserves to be well cared for, for the rest of its life. Please let me know recommendations for oil and if I should use any additives in the oil. Already got a new fuel filter, but what about the oil filter? Are those still available?
Don't forget to change the coolant. As old as that engine is no telling how long that coolant has been in there. And if it's trashy, those old Cummins were prone to liner pitting from trashy coolant.
That's an old H model Ford. Nice find! I've been a member of https://www.aths.org/ for 30 years, it's a great source for information on restoring and sourcing parts. Check them out!
I will check them out! Thanks Steve! Honestly, I was only looking for an inexpensive way to move a few semi-trailers I have around the property for storage. I didn't really know how special this truck was until I got it home and started doing research. I have been into classic cars my whole life, so now I guess I'm expanding into classic trucks. I'd love to get to the point where I could drive this truck on the road, but I live in CA, so I'm not sure that will be possible here anymore. I think there may be a way I can register it as an historic vehicle, but not sure about that yet. One of my favorite things about this truck is that the previous owner installed a hitch with a hydraulic scissor lift. I believe they were dumping loads of walnuts with it. It goes a lot higher, but I didn't want to stress anything out until I have gone through everything with a grease gun and verify everything is safe. Also, this engine does seem to have a Jake brake installed. As well as a Cummins turbo...
Sweet coe same cab used on the cab forward cl800s. Back in 05 my dad saved a 64 Peterbilt 351A from going to the scrap yard we planned on fix it up as a weekend backhoe hauler but 08 CARB restricted the miles from 5,000 to 500 a year for non complaining diesels- not sure the antique status now for CA. ATHS is worth a call they my have parts/info on your truck they had the original P.I.E build sheet for our Peterbilt.
That is a compression release for starting. *
Haha! I thought it was a Jake brake and have been indeed using it to make starting easier... So not to be used to slow the engine at all? Very interesting!
I have not seen a 5th attachment like that. That is neat
Those scissor type were somewhat common in the land of milk & honey to haul their nut's around.
Hey @Truck Shop , we're you able to tell from the pictures I posted if this is a 743-335 engine? Let me know if you need any other pics to help. I would still like to try to get some idea what it is if possible.
The only other area that would have tagged info would be the injector pump. But that early I doubt it's there. I would have to see it live to make an assumption.