Hello new to this forum, My name is Rick96 I have a early 60`s Case 580 CK ran great for years, parked her about a month ago now she will not start. I have checked for fuel and it is getting into the pump I checked the screen under the fuel inlet and it is clean. I cracked the line at # 1 injector and cranked her over but no fuel. My question is that the kill cable on my Case go right to a large spring attached to the front of the engine block only. Should this cable also be attached to my injection pump in anyway. I thing that my pump is in the shut off mode. Please any information on my question will be gratefully helpful. Thanks Rick96
Yes, old fashioned fuel injection pumps had two shafts sticking out of them, one is connected to the "throttle" and controls the speed. The other one is the shut off. If it was running when parked then it was complete at that time because you had to pull on the cable to shut if off, and if it had disconnected while running then it wouldn't have shut off with the cable. Most likely the hook on the end of a spring wore through and the spring popped out of place, or a nut fell off of the linkage and it's hanging loose. In this case, a picture is worth several thousand words.
Rick......Im thinking you are right.....that the pump is still in the "shut off" mode, and thus no fuel is getting to the cylinders. You should be able to see that something came loose, and may be able to push the injector pump "shut off" back in the "run" position. But before starting the tractor, you should know where to push to get her to shut off, or be sure the cable is hooked up right.